Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun Pets  (Read 991 times)

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun Pets
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:18:53 pm »

I know there are topics about the 'best' pets/war animals/guards/etc... but what are your favorite pets to keep around in your fort, both for protection purposes and just for the cool factor? For protection I've always been a fan starting of with 2 female wardogs and one male [I call it 3dog, lol] for a quick puppy factory... but since this is my first time using NoExotics, I'm also trying to catch a swarm of bugbats for cheap protection. I already caught a Giant Toad as well... are those any good in combat? I know Giant Olms are, but I've never caught a toady before.

Just nabbed a bunch of gibbons, an orangutan, a gazelle, and a leopard from the elves also. I know that gibbons and gazelles are no good in combat, so maybe I'll put them in a zoo or something, but how about orangutans? And what should I do with this Gorlak that just fell into my traps? I'm thinking pit fighter.

TALK ABOUT PETS EVERYBODY!

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Pets
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:46:42 pm »

Alligators. Tamed Alligators. For protection sure, but mainly for looks.

My fort is in a swamp you see, and I like to imagine that all my dwarfs look and sound like they came straight out of the bayou.

If I COULD, I'd instead make all my military were Alligator cloaks (to avenge the death of my Original 7 Fisherman) but that's not actually possible in the game, so what can you do?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:56:29 pm »

Wolves. Lots of wolves. And giant eagles.

My military dwarves are equipped with short swords and shields. They wear full armor with a tunic underneath. The cape that goes over it is died red. I use a lot of pillars when decorating my fortress.

So, yeah, wolves and eagles are good for my fortress aesthetics. Oderint dum metuant.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:11:21 pm »

Evidently, War Elephants.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:13:55 pm »

Update: So now I have a small army of Elk Birds, and multiple breeding pairs. The bugbats flew away, unfortunately :( But now I've got these bignasty birds to guard my fortress... unfortunately, it cost me a high-master animal tamer and one war dog. But I think the trade was probably worth it, so I'll bury this dwarf if it means protecting all my others.

UPDATE: In a different iteration of the game (I had loaded it while playing to see which save I was using...) my animal tamer doesn't die and I get a GCS instead!? Do I keep this one?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:16:30 pm by LilGunmanX »

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:42:58 pm »

I always buy foxes. For the looks obviously, war foxes would be just one step above battle cats.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:50 pm »

a pit filled with zombie and skeletal animals. Does that count?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:21:45 am »

For useful defense system, ☼large, serrated steel disks☼. Animals get killed by goblin bowmen really fast, so anything that can't throw fireballs is useless. Animals are for food. Cool animals are for really valuable food and bone crafts.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 02:24:19 am »

Elephants without a doupt. War ones are powerful, non-war ones make alot of food, and leather, and ivory for decoration.

Unless you count mods, then the slade collossus, just for lulz.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:30:16 am »

For useful defense system, ☼large, serrated steel disks☼. Animals get killed by goblin bowmen really fast, so anything that can't throw fireballs is useless. Animals are for food. Cool animals are for really valuable food and bone crafts.

We all know about steel disks ;) Trust us here, we're not talking about 'useful' defense... just cool defense :D After all, I don't imagine a swarm of bugbats being harmful to much, but imagine having a ton of them flying outside your fortress and attacking intruders like a hell's castle!

SUPER UPDATE: Somehow I went from Elk Birds to GCS and now I has an Ettin. First semimegabeast ever. Trying to figure out how to drop "prisoners" into the pit. Will the Ettin destroy any cages dropped into the pit?

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:45:33 am »

War warthogs (modded every normal animal to be pet instead of pet_exotic and made them trainable)

Why?

Because dwarfs like warthogs. And dwarfs and warthogs are basically the same, they are small, hairy, muscular, reek of dirt and mud and both love mushrooms.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:46:36 am »

War mandrills.  Always and forever, war mandrills.  Baboons could only be more badass if they had jetpacks.  And rode bears.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 03:01:03 am »

Reginald Goblinstomper, the elephant. And Eustace, his cousin. And of course, Solon, Sam, and Mr. Spider, [TAME].

[You should read that thread if you want to understand why these pets are now my new favorites in the DF multiverse.]
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 04:38:09 am »

War elephants. Though they function more as giant, damage soaking decoys in actual combat. And I like to have a pair of giant war cats (giant lions/cheetas/jaguars) chained up near the front gate. For rule of cool and as a way of saying "piss off" to any thiefs. And elves.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:06 am »

Urist imiknorris likes voracious cave crawlers for their blue skin and scary mouths.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!