Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Set up a silk farm, but dwarves keep going down to the caverns for silk  (Read 743 times)

KProject

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For whatever reason, they'd rather go down 20 Z-levels for webs. Is there some way I can tell them to only collect from my silk farm that is safe, secure, and conveniently located next to the booze stockpile?

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Set up a silk farm, but dwarves keep going down to the caverns for silk
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:09:17 pm »

If pathing for silk works like everything else, a Z level counts as 1 tile.
So if there is a web straight down 20 levels, it counts as being 20 tiles away. If your stockpile is more than 20 tiles away from the Loom then your weaver will descend to the caverns.

Note that this is regardless of how far the pathing takes him. He may need to walk to a staircase half-way across the fortress, but that doesn't matter when he looks for the next closest web.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »

You could physically wall off access to the caverns for everyone and stop anyone from wandering down there for any reason, or you could create a Burrow for your weaver that includes the silk farm, the loom, as well as any food and booze stockpiles and bedrooms or other rooms the weaver needs to access.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KProject

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:27:20 pm »

If pathing for silk works like everything else, a Z level counts as 1 tile.
So if there is a web straight down 20 levels, it counts as being 20 tiles away. If your stockpile is more than 20 tiles away from the Loom then your weaver will descend to the caverns.

I just counted and my Looms were about thirty tiles from the farm, which would explain it. Thanks.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 02:44:29 pm »

You could try burrows for your silk collectors. That would allow your other dwarves to go into the caverns for whatever reason, but they would be limted to the burrow(s) until you changed it.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 05:32:37 pm »

This type of job definitely does NOT select from the nearest possible target.  I don't know what exact logic is used, but many many times I've seen dwarves go 100+ steps further than they could have.  I'd say wall up the undesirable areas of cavern as suggested earlier, although maybe a burrow would also work.