Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger room also trains war animals???  (Read 2036 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger room also trains war animals???
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 12:48:29 am »

Dragons ought to be smart. And elephants too. Weapons and armor users.
I had an FB that learned how to use a spear and killed lots of antmen with it.
I don't see why an elephant or a dragon couldn't do the same.

An elephant or dragon couldn't do the same because they lack the proper tags. I don't think Forgotten Beasts can learn either, but you don't need to be able to learn to use weapons and armor. You just need the [EQUIPS] tag.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 12:54:41 am »

STAND BACK!
I'M DOING SCIENCE!

You should use a low-quality, preferably featherwood, training spear instead of a menacing spike.  Also the mechanism's quality determines hit chance, so low quality there would be better for dodge training.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 12:56:48 am »

:/

Too late for that, I suppose.

Somebody else can do the same thing later with a worse spear.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 05:01:20 am »

With menacing spikes, I think it's less a matter of training the dogs than simple natural selection.  If any dog survives that, it was already bad-ass.  If you make a less-lethal version, then you should put the dogs in, and then after a while, butcher all the ones with debilitating injuries.

With training spears, I've seen a dog take a good half-dozen hits before I noticed it had gotten in, and it recovered from being stunned and limped out with only half of its vital organs being bruised.

I've determined that what's deadly about danger-rooms to the un-armored is not so much the lack of armor, but the fact that once you get knocked unconscious, you can't dodge any more let alone get the hell out of dodge.  Creatures and dwarf children that get stunned in a danger room are on a fast track to death by a thousand bludgeons.  If you check the combat logs, the victims are being bruised to death.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 07:14:36 am »

Well that doesn't change the fact that from now on I will throw in about 4 dogs into the danger room in hope I will get another bad-ass unit ;). Even if his skills don't grow (although as The Grackle said they can train stats and I think that's the case) natural selection will tell me which animals are simply better than their companions!
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 07:17:35 am »

natural selection and breeding.

time for !!SCIENCE!!, Mendel style.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 04:36:09 pm »

The giant cave swallow flew around the underground fortress, searching for an opening. The scent of haulers was strong: but no one strayed from the impenetrable defenses.
He flew around, scanning for an opening, a weakness.

And he found one.

A pack of sleeping dwarves, naked but for two shields in each hand.

The swallow paused to consider this. This was strange indeed, but they seemed exhausted, and locked in a little room. He could enter by the roof and devour his prey easily.

He dived for the kill. His brain failed to comprehend what happened next.
Ten wooden spikes sprung around, gutting him. The dwarves dodged them in their sleep without a care.
Dying, the swallow crawled toward his intended victims, failing to comprehend, vomiting on them.

The oldest dwarf woke up grumpily, bashed the bird's brain in with his shield, and went back to sleep.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 04:48:43 pm »

I guess if you wanted to efficiently reach your fort's animal limit with only the 50 most badass dogs, wooden-spike selection would be the best idea.

I do notice though that the pet horses and cows of my soldiers tend to wander into the room and suffer injuries but not death.

I also wonder what the effect of [CAN_LEARN] would be on those same horses and cows...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 02:37:00 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:32:07 pm by Bronimin »
Pages: 1 [2]