Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger room also trains war animals???  (Read 2039 times)

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger room also trains war animals???
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:56:31 pm »

So yeah as in the topic, I'm wondering if animals can actually "train". I think yes because I remember a bronze colossus getting WAY better during my fight with him (to the point where we were both basically invincible) and he is also considered a creature for all I know.

The thing is that during one of the sieges I assigned a few meatshields war dogs to my soldiers, I forgot you can't "unassigned" the dogs later on so they ventured afer my brave man into the danger room. Not knowing what to do I decided it's time to test the theory of evolution make my dogs into real badasses so I turned the switch and... well 3 out of 4 dogs died very very fast. (2 impaled on a stick and one suffocated having his both lungs pierced) but the 4th one survived the whole thing. After he left the danger room it took him some time to regenerate but after some time he was up to speed again.

Than a few seasons later (and the dog was still going into the danger room, only now he didn't have any trouble surviving) I got ambushed again and so I sent my soldiers to charge the foolish goblins. A soldier to which the dog was attached died (sadly he was my best man) so not wanting to have any more losses I quickly took out rest of the soldiers from the squad (through the military screen I basically unassigned them) so they were treated like civilians and ran back to the safe burrow.
But the dog stayed there.

And the awesomeness ensued.
The "hardened" war dog took out 4 goblins ALONE and than proceeded to chasing the scattered rest (which seeing the war beast in front of them just turned around and ran like hell), he lost both his ears, one eye and few fingers in his left paw but he SURVIVED AND KICKED ASS.

Not wanting to loose him I assigned him to a restraint in my barracks and now he scares all the rookies that get drafted that decide to get into my military.
I'm so proud of him :>.

So do you think it's actually a good idea to let the war beasts "practice" in the danger room as well?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:02:01 pm by Victuz »
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Danger room also trains war animals???
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:05:58 pm »

:'(

If this really works, you're my hero.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:06:37 pm »

Most animals can not learn skills. In order for an animal to build skills, they need the [CAN_LEARN] tag in the raws. This tag is not found on most of the animals you can tame in vanilla DF, if any. So using the danger room to train common war animals is pointless.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:07:53 pm »

So I guess he's just an extremely bad ass individual
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:22 pm »

Do dragons have [CAN_LEARN]?

I can see some potential here if I modded them to breed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 11:17:52 pm »

Do dragons have [CAN_LEARN]?

I can see some potential here if I modded them to breed.

No, DF dragons appear to have the intelligence on par with most animals. Though if you're modding them for breeding you might as well throw that in as well. Though a danger room might be completley unnecessary when a Dragon would have over 1000 years to build skills on its own.

Can't dragons breed already though? I mean, I can't see anything in their raws to suggest otherwise. The problem would just be acquiring both a male and female.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:33:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure being a megabeast means it cannot breed.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:53:38 pm »

The fact that the dog has no problem surviving in the danger room unarmoured suggests that he was bad-ass to begin with and not a result of danger room training.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 12:03:14 am »

If I ever manage to get a breeding population of tigermen I am so doing this.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:16:33 am »

STAND BACK!
I'M DOING SCIENCE!

Started with 30 female and 20 male dogs, trained them as war dogs, threw them in a 1-tile pit with a single menacing tower-cap spike.

3 dead total after 1 lever pull.
7 dead total after 2 lever pulls.
12 dead total after 3 lever pulls. (3rd Felsite (late spring))

Removed bodies from pit, let dogs loose for a while before caging them, and am now waiting 'till late summer.

24 Felsite - Removed 2 dogs from the cage to check on wounds. One has two broken bones and some short straight scars, the other still has open wounds.
1 Malachite - Access to health screen! 13 dogs have nerve damage.

Apparently, I was visited by Bonobos before I started my test...
Spoiler: log excerpt (click to show/hide)

Ok, on 2 Galena (late summer), I started pulling the lever 3 more times.
1 - 2 bodies
2 - 4 bodies
3 - 11 bodies (!!!)
20 of the remaining dogs have nerve damage.
Removed bodies and caged dogs again.

7 sandstone - Bored! Pull ze lever!

1 - 2 bodies
2 - 6 bodies
3 - 7 bodies
23 of 29 remaining dogs have nerve damage.
Still bored, so... lever on repeat!

As expected, only 11 9 dogs survive several dozen more stabs.
I'll test whether they're super-doggedly hard to kill tomorrow.

Oh, and many, many dogs were harmed in the making of this post.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:19:47 am by Peewee »

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 12:23:01 am »

Well, since they are unarmored, I would think the training spears would be much more deadly and less train-ifying. What war animals have a lot of natural armor?
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 12:29:22 am »

Well, since they are unarmored, I would think the training spears would be much more deadly and less train-ifying. What war animals have a lot of natural armor?

None that I can think of off the top of my head. So the most likely to survive would be the large animals like elephants.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:31:23 am »

i remember some crocs in real armor >_>

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 12:40:49 am »

Dragons ought to be smart. And elephants too. Weapons and armor users.
I had an FB that learned how to use a spear and killed lots of antmen with it.
I don't see why an elephant or a dragon couldn't do the same.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 12:44:41 am »

It shouldn't learn skills w/o the tag, but an animal might train its stats up due to a danger room.  All that dodging might make it extra fast and super-doggedly tough. 
Pages: [1] 2