Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So what are you doing in YOUR free time?  (Read 2006 times)

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
So what are you doing in YOUR free time?
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:26:49 pm »

Discuss your own little mini projects!
I have not seen any mini project threads, so I thought I would go post my own.

As a relatively unskilled and new player I still find the concept of a stupid dwarf trick mega project hard to grasp. Smaller projects seem much more realistic to me (in terms of planing and time consumption).

Allow me to begin, this is how I've been spending my free time lately:

So after finding out I did not leave room in my dug out fortress entrance for any siege weapons and that ballista's could not shoot down Z-levels. I had to create this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So in order to shoot at my enemies and not loose at least 50 more effective steps for each of my workers going outside, I made a ~40 titles long runway with bridges on the fortress end of it.
These bridges I then linked to a lever, so that when I pull it, this happens:

Now, everybody who wants to enter my fortress will have to go to the other end of the runway and come running back this way.
Closer look at the runway:

At the edges I used grates so that the middle part of the ramp would not be supported by anything other than the, to another lever connected, support beam on the Z-level below. So that if there are 130 goblins on my doorstep I can just (maybe) break all their legs (I have not tried yet).
So the first time I used this I did not have walls covering my runway, I learned the hard way. Goblins came from the hill in the lower left corner and shot about four to five dwarves had me experiencing some fun.

Now here comes the fun boring part:

Did you know that ballista's have 130 to 150 titles of range? I know I do.
So I read this wiki when I started playing and the wiki was more interesting to me at the time (20 fps, yay), and I got the battery pattern from there.

On a side note, indoor fishing:          8)

Hope this helps other players post their mini project stories. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:08:23 am by Slayer »
Derp.

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So what are you doing in YOUR free time?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:54:55 am »

I have embarked on an ocean that freezes in winter and melts other times.
i am going to build a large clear glass sleeping habitat under the ocean by digging and building during the big freeze

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:15:50 am »

I was trying to make an irrigation device which pulled water from a lake through the bottom. I failed to account for the fact that there were three levels of water above me, and there was a pressure blast that immediatedly flooded my installation (literally. One minute I was clear, the next I was wallowing in 5/7 water, and that in the distant segments), and it may or may not have caused grievous injuries to a dwarf by smashing him against a wall.  Luckily I built a drain beforehand, so in time I hope that the excess water.
Even so, whoah.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:00:33 pm »

I abandoned my .12 fort as soon as I saw .13 is out, but all I do is gen worlds now!

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 01:48:35 pm »

Sometimes I mess around with the RAW files of creatures and test it ingame. I am currently trying to make Carp an evil, intelligent, fire-breathing civilization with a humanoid body.(:D)
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 02:06:21 pm »

Does creating a Swiss-style reserve militia of every able-bodied adult in the fortress count?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 02:56:00 pm »

I have embarked on an ocean that freezes in winter and melts other times.
i am going to build a large clear glass sleeping habitat under the ocean by digging and building during the big freeze

I was on one of those once, but I just dug into because I didn't know it was. My dwarves drowned...

I just look on the wiki and forums for good mega project ideas, then do them.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 07:06:41 pm »

My current semimegaproject is Redtowers.  The RNG spat the name out so I regenned a world with more above-ground Z-levels and started...
I'm planning 20 levels of cast obsidian with bauxite facade.

Here are my basic towers.  On the right are the pump stacks: red is magma, white is water (currently inactive)

The distribution systems 22 levels up

I have two levels where the towers join, I'm planning to put dining here (and there's some blood from a stray bit of magma dropping from above).
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 01:47:18 pm »

Your water systems seem to be weak, there is hardly any water in them.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".