Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One way passable door/hatch  (Read 957 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
One way passable door/hatch
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:28:43 am »

At doors and floor hatches you can forbid passage. I would like another possibility that you select the directions in which they are passable, but forbid the other. For example in an ambush or siege I have certain areas which I would like to evacuate (let my dwarves in a safe burrow) but don't let anybody out to the danger.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: One way passable door/hatch
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:29:45 am »

This would be nice as a traffic control option as well. Designate certain areas one-way corridors or whatever.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:13 am »

Maybe not make doors one way, but being able to build a special door thats one way could work. I would agree this would be nice.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:06 pm »

Good idea, but it runs into fundamental problems with how pathfinding is organized. It uses connectivity areas, areas in which any tile is reachable from any other tile in the area. One-way areas don't really jive with that, and would thus require a rewrite of the entire pathfinding.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:40:20 pm »

It's possible to cheat and build a one-way gate in 40d: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:One-way

I don't know if it's been tested in 31.xx, and the article does note that it's probably bad for pathfinding, but there you are.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:22:24 am »

It's possible to cheat and build a one-way gate in 40d: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:One-way

I don't know if it's been tested in 31.xx, and the article does note that it's probably bad for pathfinding, but there you are.

I haven't messed with it as extensively in the newer versions as I (inadvertently*) did in 40d, but dwarves DO traverse it in both directions, but only if there is no other path, which due to the way A* (and similar) functions work, takes up a huge search-space.

The only way to have proper one-way doors would be to turn the connectivity map (which is the shortcut for determining that no path exists without ever calling A*) into a node graph itself.

*I built one during a megaproject on purpose and only managed to observe the effects in detail, as it was a living fort, not a test bed.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:03:19 pm »

No longer works in 31.XX.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:15:01 pm »

No longer works in 31.XX.

Just verified this.  Removing the floor leaves a down ramp.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:44 am »

Actually there are still one way roads. In order to get them you need to mess around with diging in ice/ice freezing over ramps. The game sometimes messes up creating one way paths. However this mainly leads to a lot of complaining from your dwarfs that they can't find a path ext.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.