Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teleporting/Swimming/Magma Proof Vulture?  (Read 1257 times)

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Teleporting/Swimming/Magma Proof Vulture?
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:45:58 am »

Right now my fort is recovering from a Bronzemurdered-like situation: All but three adults killed by a Fell Beast.  Problem is, I'm playing a no-immigration challenge.  That's not really a problem right now; two of the dorfs left are a married couple, and there were already *tons* of kids running about (3 marriages from the original seven dwarves!) who were miraculously left mostly untouched.  Just need to wait for them to grow up.

So, I sealed off the fort, completely.  Walls and ceilings shutting off everything above *and* below, except for two entrances.
Enemies could conceivably swim through the moat/fish trap/water source since I unfortunately neglected to install fortifications in its intake (not really a major concern, since I'm in a neutral desert: no undead or aquatic things spawned by nature)

and enemies could possibly fly up through a magma pump-stack currently under construction, for the eventual purpose of magma forges without the long walk down (or the risk of magma men)

Problem is, I just had a vulture appear seemingly out of nowhere and kill a dwarf baby.  How the hell?

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Teleporting/Swimming/Magma Proof Vulture?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:48:53 am »

I've never even seen a vulture kill something before. Maybe its something with the suicidal baby program.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:56:50 am »

You see, the issue with your parent-less babies is that they are designed to commit suicide if their parent abandons them. The children are fine, though.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »

Yes, and I'd understand if they'd died by falling in the moat, or falling down a staircase repeatedly... But death by apparantly *summoning a vulture* to pluck out its eyes?

Ia yub shoggorath, the celestial vulture that eats a thousand young?

EpeeGnome

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TLDR:APPALLING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:19:27 pm »

Too bad it has tasted dwarven blood, because a pet with those abilities would be nifty.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:28:37 pm »

I've never even seen a vulture kill something before. Maybe its something with the suicidal baby program.

I had a vulture fly into my fortress and attempt to murder a crippled dwarf. It viciously pecked apart his skin until the military came and chopped its head of. Vultures will attack your dwarves, it's just that dwarves usually win.

There's probably a hole into your fort somehwere. Vultures are sneaky bastards and they path straight into your fort, so they would find any entrance no matter how obscure.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

EpeeGnome

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TLDR:APPALLING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:43:08 pm »

There's probably a hole into your fort somehwere.

This is a more likely explanation, but a fellow can dream about having such a pet, no?

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:36:59 am »

Think I found a possible one: Can fliers path through windmill holes?  Might have to replace my millstone's power with an internal waterwheel-assembly if so.

<Some Buffoonery and an edit later>
Nope, that wasn't it... Covered it up and used waterwheels, and just had a buzzard break in despite all that.  No mutilations this time, just buzzard roast minced with cow milk on the table tonight.

New hypothesis: Buzzards and vultures start stealthed, right?  They may be sneaking in around caravans (drawbridge airlocks keep invaders out during both trading and waiting for caravans.)  ... Unless they can go through raised drawbridges, in which case we have teleporting fliers again.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:51:52 am by koruth »

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 07:50:26 am »

Do you have a non-square site? There was a bug in 40d where a line across your site that would be a map edge if the site was square would be treated like map edges where animals/invaders/caravans/migrants could enter the map.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:37:32 pm »

Nope, default 4x4 embark...

And it's not the caravans either, unless (yet another!) vulture managed to stay stealthed for about half a year before suddenly appearing in my stone stockpile two z levels down...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 08:46:44 pm »

from experience I've had vultures can swim... and well.
Nom nom nom

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 12:27:13 am »

Maybe the game thinks vultures are vermine?  Anyway looking at the raws I can at least see tha vultures are swimmers  with a swim speed of 2500.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:05:28 am »

Well damn, that's it then.  Should've made that damn fortification in the moat...

Wonder if I can drain it out with screw pumps fast enough that I can get a mason in there...

Thanks everyone!