Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: TvTropes  (Read 13876 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Re: TvTropes
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 12:02:03 pm »

So, guys. I actively enjoy TVTropes and like it when people pepper their posts with links to interesting articles on it. I find people like to hate it because so many people like to make the arguably stale (I wouldn't say it's stale myself) joke, "Ah, I'm losing all my life to it!" Blame not the site, which is great, but the people who make up the community around it.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2010, 12:04:23 pm »

I like to link people to it just to bug them. >:D
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2010, 04:36:33 pm »

I really enjoy tvtropes, until I realize how much time I spent there. Just from this thread I ended up reading them for two hours, and that is a tame example. I have gotten sucked in to the tropes for up to six hours at a time. It sucks when you realize this and also realize that you had work to do :(

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2010, 04:44:39 pm »

I think that's the problem most people have with it and the reason I love it, great timesink when I'm bored. :)
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »

As long as the article sounds interesting and I haven't read it before I'll read it.  The forum members there are all total geeks though.  You got your comic book geeks, your anime geeks, your video game geeks, literature geeks, etc.  They're all there.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2010, 05:23:09 pm »

I lost a trope, it was one about swords hitting much more rarely then blunts since it takes much less time to do the effects for blunt wounds than sword wounds, if anyone can find it I would be grateful.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:01 pm »

The mods have been pretty asshatty latlely. They may have deleted it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2010, 05:30:51 pm »

Yeah, they seem to have taken Rule of Cautious Editing Judgement as: "Delete all but the discription text of every single page that could provoke some strife between tropers."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:46:28 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2010, 05:31:32 pm »

Not to mention their new Real Life policy.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2010, 05:33:02 pm »

Not to mention their new Real Life policy.
Which is?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »

...Do I even want to know?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2010, 05:36:55 pm »

Essentially, the new policy on Real Life examples is "Virtually never acceptable, and will be deleted given the slightest excuse."

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2010, 07:51:43 pm »

Well Intentioned Extremist: Fast Eddie.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2010, 08:11:05 pm »

That would explain why I haven't been seeing as many Real Life tabs as usual, thought they might have just been too obscure, and isn't this going against what they said on the front page?
We are not Wikipedia. We're a buttload more informal. We encourage breezy language and original thought. There Is No Such Thing As Notability, and no citations are needed. If your entry cannot gather any evidence by the Wiki Magic, it will just wither and die. Until then, though, it will be available through the Main Tropes Index.
There Is No Such Thing As Notability
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]