Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why embark in 1050?  (Read 2141 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Why embark in 1050?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »

Reason I ususaly generate past the year 1000 is that some megabeasts (dragons for instance) take that long to fully mature. Meaning, the closer to the year 1000 you get the more kickass your dragons will be. Plus I like a good variance of historic events.

I also tend to generate more densely populated worlds so that history doesnt stagnate too easily.

Not that that history does me much good when I make a remote fortress. Agh so many engravings of one stupid human getting killing by a yeti...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »

What are engravings and how do they work in DF?

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 05:15:51 pm »

Agh so many engravings of one stupid human getting killing by a yeti...
Why does this make me think of Starwars when Luke is captured be the Wampa or whatever it is called.

On topic though, engravings are carvings in the wall that decorate your fort and add to the value.
Edit: they can also be carved on floors.
Edit2:only natural walls and floors. also, dwarves need the stone detailing labor.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:22:38 pm by RexMundi »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 03:45:13 am »

Engravings are just like they sound. they are engraving the depict the history of the world gen and events that happen in your fort. They can be anything from puppies to forgotten beasts.

Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 03:55:13 am »

You can look at them with the k command. While engraving you may get a message that one of your engravers has made a masterpiece. This usually refers to an engraving which depicts scenes from the past of your current fortress i. e. the founding of the fortress or the election of the mayor or the construction of an artifact or especially masterful craft or killings of your military heroes.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »

You can look at them with the k command. While engraving you may get a message that one of your engravers has made a masterpiece. This usually refers to an engraving which depicts scenes from the past of your current fortress i. e. the founding of the fortress or the election of the mayor or the construction of an artifact or especially masterful craft or killings of your military heroes.

But what's the point of it? Why engrave at all?

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 02:28:16 pm »

For one, it increases the value of the room, so you can keep your nobles happy.  Also I think it's cool to have scenes of your dwarfs chopping up goblins all around your dining hall.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 06:31:18 pm »

It's a sandbox game, there is no "point" to doing any particular thing other than if it interests you.  Having full adamantine armor and weapons with 200 combat dwarves all with legendary skills is no more a "winning" approach than making collecting a million groundhog fat or building a maze made out of soap bars.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 01:04:22 am »

I believe the dwarves can also get happy thoughts from engravings.

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 09:37:58 am »

Has anyone ever tried embarking in the year 10000? I have. Every civ was extinct, adventure mode was bugged (the game crashed if you tried to make one), and fortress mode was pretty awesome. There was something about being the absolute final bastion of sentient society anywhere on the planet that was immensely satisfying.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 11:46:25 pm »

Has anyone ever tried embarking in the year 10000? I have. Every civ was extinct, adventure mode was bugged (the game crashed if you tried to make one), and fortress mode was pretty awesome. There was something about being the absolute final bastion of sentient society anywhere on the planet that was immensely satisfying.

I only got to 8,087 before losing interest in waiting another two millenia.  Out of curiosity, was your world a region or an island map?
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »

No civs means no sieges eh?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 08:23:12 am »

My computer takes longer than I care to wait to get to year 50. I am not waiting another 9950 years just to get to get one happy thought from being the last civilization.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: 1 [2]