Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why embark in 1050?  (Read 2136 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why embark in 1050?
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »

Is there a reason to embark that late at the default year? Civilizations become extinct and it takes longer to generate.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why embark in 1050?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:29:50 pm »

Personally I use 1050 when I'm using a world gen someone else has posted or I forget to change the setting.

I prefer 499, 399, & 199 repectively (that way year x01 will indicate my fortress has passed it's 1st b-day, etc).

I should probably note however that I generally start killing off megabeasts in year 2.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:32:13 pm »

But is there any disadvantage to starting in year 100? I genned a map with only that setting changed and the only difference I see is a higher chance of the 4 civs being present (good) and lower generation time (also good).

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:47:39 pm »

An earlier start doesn't reduce just Civ die-off, it also reduces Titan die-off.

Also, the sooner you finish world gen, the less time the Dwarven Civs have to build cave systems, the Humans to build Road Networks, the Gobbos to gank everyone (presumably they're what happens to the Kobolds), & the Hippies to eat flowers.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:04:28 pm »

An earlier start doesn't reduce just Civ die-off, it also reduces Titan die-off.

Also, the sooner you finish world gen, the less time the Dwarven Civs have to build cave systems, the Humans to build Road Networks, the Gobbos to gank everyone (presumably they're what happens to the Kobolds), & the Hippies to eat flowers.

And...the practical implications of that are?

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:44 am »

There'll be fewer tunnel networks, fewer road networks, more Kobolds, and more flowers.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:08:05 am »

And...the practical implications of that are?

Other than the things mentioned, nothing as far as I know except maybe something to do with populations and the appearance of the map.

The differences in ending year are greater when comparing island maps with region maps; I've started to prefer old-style regions more because there's less stagnation and more contact/conflict between civilizations (not to mention lower chance of extinction). My 8,087 year old island world basically stopped changing appreciably after the second millenium because of this isolation and as a result my civilization's history engravings from that point forward basically involved fighting giant desert scorpions for six thousand years.

A young island world would be different, of course, and it would also depend on civ placement and the interconnectedness of the islands.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:58:44 am »

...as a result my civilization's history engravings from that point forward basically involved fighting giant desert scorpions for six thousand years.

Coke. Through my nose. Hurts.

Thank you for this. It tickled me just the right way.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 04:02:42 am »

Longer worldgen is only for if you want more randomly generated history to decorate and look at. If you don't want that (either you don't care or you want to make your own history), then you may as well end worldgen fast.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 04:27:43 am »

Doesn't long worldgen mean better siege as well? I guess gobs got more time to breed (more warriors) and train (better ones).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:00 am »

Currently, siege units are magically spawned into existence provided there's a parent civ around. There's a lot of discussion going on in the Future of the Fortress thread on how this'll all change when food logistics is taken into account properly. Humans are getting sprawl farms now, what will goblins run on? Once the game tracks all that, then this'll all be relevant. Until then? Enjoy your magically summoned enemies.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:56 am »

Didn't that change with 2010? Since now migrants have a history, I understood sieger did as well. Also, can't you deplete a civilization if you kill enough gobs? Or is there an unlimited amount of fighters?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 11:02:00 am »

Yeah, with longer world gen you get more neat engravings in your fortress.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 12:11:04 pm »

Didn't that change with 2010? Since now migrants have a history, I understood sieger did as well. Also, can't you deplete a civilization if you kill enough gobs? Or is there an unlimited amount of fighters?
Some of them do.  Named individuals from history can show up in your sieges, but that was true in 40d as well.  The majority of the goblins in a siege are still randomly generated on the spot.  When you wipe out all the named individuals in a civilization, you'll still get sieges, just smaller and made up entirely of randomly generated on the spot individuals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »

The old response to the consequence of near zero world gen time was that your parent civ won't have many outposts and thus you had a lower chance of being able to trade them for semi-rare stuff like bauxite. That particulate case it moot in current version but there may be some strange junk you'd like the caravans to bring nonetheless. I would imagine the elves probably don't bring giant eagles if their little starter shanty isn't right on some giant eagle territory, though the beasts from other biomes may actually require a little warfare with civs in that direction.

Personally 500 seems to be plenty long for this kind of thing though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: [1] 2