Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain  (Read 19298 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain
« Reply #240 on: September 03, 2010, 08:32:12 am »

You know how you can still discern the differences between a well-lit room and a dark room even with your eyes closed? Well, my eyes work like that too, but when I'm sleepy, I become extremely callous to the differences between light and dark, and with my eyes closed, I always assume that the room I'm in is dark.

This leads to much confusion when my sleep schedule gets flipped around, and when I wake up, my eyes are still closed, and the conscious effort it takes to open them causes me to be truly surprised at whether I'm waking up in the morning (with light in the window) or at night (complete darkness).

One time, I opened my eyes, but I swore that they were still closed for a few seconds because I couldn't see.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 04, 2010, 01:36:24 pm »

I seem to gain exta senses when I'm on the verge of gaining or losing consciousness. I've had my head under my pillow before, but still had a picture of what was going on inside my head. My friends didn't believe me, but when we tested it I was able to track three people while a fourth one kept me completely blinded. I don't know if my brain is constructing the image from sounds that my subconscious registers and my conscious ignores, or what it is, but it is pretty cool. I'm like god damned Merlin.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 04, 2010, 03:45:59 pm »

I've heard theories that when the brain starts becoming inactive for sleep, it can do amazing "calculations" since it isn't taxed enough. The idea came about as an explanation for prophetic dreams, in that your mind is able to consturuct a realistic idea of what might happen in the near future through these "calculations".

I don't know if there's anything to it, or if said theory has any basis in reality, but it could explain the constructed image you get.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]