Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can dwarves with severed limbs recover?  (Read 7278 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarves with severed limbs recover?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »

Well, my hospital was temporarily up to four occupants, but one of them just needed vital organ surgery and is already out, while another guy has a scarred foot that apparently has yet to fully recover.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 03:10:17 pm »

Well, my hospital was temporarily up to four occupants, but one of them just needed vital organ surgery and is already out, while another guy has a scarred foot that apparently has yet to fully recover.

Only four?  You're doing something wrong.

You want that doctor to get practice to get better at tending to the wounded, now don't you?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 09:51:43 pm »

It's probably been fixed in .12 but for a while I had an axedwarf who had his right hand chopped off.  He recovered just fine and went back to axedwarfing, holding his shield in his left and his battle axe in his right hand.

I imagine a battle-scarred dwarf with a majestic dwarvenly contraption strapping a huge battle axe blade to the stump of his right arm, a-la Ash's chainsaw in Evil Dead.

Check the health status screen.  There are a lot of things indicated there, including things like nerve damage.  Some injuries that cause nerve damage leave your dwarves as invalids for life.  Dwarves can recover from what look like crippling injuries though.  At least partially.  I have one with a "bruised lower spine" who apparently crawls from place to place doing her work; she still blinks with a red + and moves very slowly.  It's very sad.  And the hospital bugs still outstanding that have already been mentioned.

My permanently bedridden dwarves have no such damage.

Plenty of other dwarves walking around with nerve damage though.  You can often tell who has arm damage by the blinking yellow +...

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 10:11:11 pm »

Right now, my militia commander lost her right arm in battle. She healed up, and has gone back to her normal duties barely hampered at all. I've left her in my militia, since I only use them to kill beserking dwarves. Unless a fellow militia member goes beserk, her armor and axe will do just fine in putting down the beserkers.

I also have one of my original 7 end up in the hospital until she died of thirst in the hospital some 3 years later. She got ambushed by two alligators while out cutting wood. They bit off both her legs and her axe arm, and she STILL managed to kill both of them and crawl back to the booze pile in the fortress for a drink before any other dwarf thought to drag her down to the hospital, where's she's been stuck since. She was doing great, but after a mighty tantrum spiral in the fortress, the remaining dwarves just go too involved with dragging all the dead bodies outside and cleaning the fortress to bother to bring her water. When I saw the announcement of her death, I immediately sacrificed 16 caged goblins for her to enjoy kicking their behind in the dwarven afterlife. She was one tough dwarf, an I kept expecting her to tear up the bed and make her own peg legs and get back to work.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: 1 [2]