Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Architectural Styles  (Read 11659 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Architectural Styles
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2010, 02:11:33 pm »

So how much does everybody plan out? Personally I don't really plan out anything except for the first few things. Makes for a rather organic fortress, and a very inefficient one as well.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2010, 03:40:25 pm »

I often find it hard to plan early on, when there's no "anchor" to reference.

Generally, I build a "embark enterance", though, build a large dining hall and some residential areas off of that, plus some industry in what will be my first warehouse district, and then simply seal that first enterance off and build a new one a few floors up, when I have an idea of how I want my fortress to be laid out.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2010, 04:07:29 pm »

Lately I have been being really lazy.  I usually embark on 2x2 areas so as to keep FPS high, and in the past have gone with a central staircase or spiral ramp with different things on different levels, carving rooms out of the stone for whatever purposes.  Lately, however, I have started simply completely mining out a layer and setting stuff up wherever feels good on the level.  All dwarves sleep in a dorm which is simply a few rows of beds next to one of the far walls with one in the center being designated as a room sized just large enough to cover all the beds.  Everything else just gets plopped down wherever feels good at the moment.  It is amazing how much crap you can cram into one 2x2 level when it is just a huge open room.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2010, 04:36:37 pm »

Unfortunately the big room strategy tends to drive room values through the floor. Bad for nobles, if you don't feel like killing them. But we were going to kill them anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

NieXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • NieXS' Domain
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2010, 11:34:49 pm »

Does anybody have any honeycomb-ish designs that allow for corridors of an odd width? I can't stand having uncentered things.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2010, 01:32:20 pm »

Mine are just one big 3x3 staircase down the centre and then I carve rooms as I need off of them. I used to just dig right to the bottom so I always had spare staircase, but now that there are caverns and stuff, I can't D:

Apart from that, my fortresses quickly go from making sense to being a sprawling, horrible mess.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2010, 02:23:12 pm »

This thread made me realize that all of the fortresses I have been making were essentially copies of the fortress I made when I was first learning about Dwarf Fortress. Very square, boring and easy. This has inspired to try something new and step a little out of my safety zone. I am making a fortress that has a volcano in the center to keep my dwarves nice and warm, and it spirals down into the depths around the volcano using ramps. Always fun to try something new. (And the volcano will definitely lead to some FUN!)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2010, 10:39:42 pm »

I kinda hit a roadblock with New Wavehandle. I am making progress with my repeater which I apparently botched, and have a blueprint to remedy it.

The real roadblock I'm experiencing is good apartment designs which could work well with the 3-wide vault design I'm using. It has to work with the style and not be a lazy center-spire style either (I'm a bit bothered by that, and it somewhat messed up Old Wavehandle the first time around). I guess I need to continue watching the Fallout Chronicles episodes that inspired this new approach in the first place. See if I can rack up some ideas.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2010, 01:48:06 am »

Can someone please explain how to make an efficient spiral ramp? I can't set it out properly.

Normally I just make a central staircase because I'm lazy.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2010, 04:29:24 am »

Can someone please explain how to make an efficient spiral ramp? I can't set it out properly.

Normally I just make a central staircase because I'm lazy.
The most efficient possible (as far as distance goes) is anything similar to this:
Code: [Select]
_▲_
_W▼
___
Next z-level up:
_▼_
▲W_
___
Next up:
___
▼W_
_▲_
Next:
___
_W▲
_▼_
And so on, just going in a circle around the central column. There are other ways to do this though, and you'll usually want between three and five ramps extending out from that. You can also have ramps on both sides of the column or something if you want.

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2010, 02:56:36 pm »

My fortress design is usually just random hallways which originate from a stair-shaft that goes down a random amount of z-levels before stopping. In other words, haphazard.
But one time I experimented with an organic fort, which turned out beautifully, except the save corrupted. :(
I have the DFMA of it: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8322-keyslapped
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2010, 03:08:05 pm »

I didn't have the time to read all of the thread, so I'm sorry if my idea came up before.

I usually don't play for very long (I started out on an old computer with FPS <20, thought that was normal and sill getting used to the faster gameplay.  Right now, I'm on a fort that's almost three years old and still going strong, with construction plans as follows:

I'll build several floors of wide-open space, (call them "Big Room"s if you must) designated as high-traffic and with nothing in them but pillars, statues, and (if I have to) stockpiles and dining rooms (which can become legendary with very little effort, given so much space).  There will be multiple large stairways, each bigger than most of the "Stairs Of All Things" I've seen on this thread, but a given stair will only connect two floors together, nothing else (if they strike platinum I send an engraver, not a miner).  Everything else will be in (cramped) complexes connected by a multiple seperate stairwells to ONE AND ONLY ONE of the great halls.  Sleeping quarters will be where needed/availible, that is to say near workshops for craftsmen or en masse for my workers.

The idea behind this is that I can have everything be put in tightly up against each other, with no through traffic in the work space, and yet give my dwarves complete freedom of movement.  Thus I get all the benifits of having no walls, without the chaotic clutter it usually entails.

Above ground, I plan on having a castle-type fortrification: First, a three-Z-level high wall, with the top level being a compleatly sealed rampart accessible only from one of the 5-story towers, which in turn are accessible only from underground tunnels connected to a central fort or to airlocks with located inside a special tower next to my gate that might possibly have some seige equipment as well, seeing as it's a civilian operated structure.

Above ground will be a few structures fortrifying the entrances underground- I embarked on an aquifer, but fortunately the map I got freezes every winter, so I wait until then to peirce through then reinforce with constructed walls.  It's certainly not a dwarfproof foolproof plan, (I've lost half a dozen dwarves to falling into channels they dug out that then flash-freeze) but I've already made one entryway and am well towards makeing a second, more conviniently placed one (which happens to re-use my failed first-ever attempt to get through an aquifer, but that was before I found out the map froze).

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »

Upon reading the rest of the thread, I realized that the "complexes" are really of organic design, since I don't plan on making them in any particular fasion, only as I need them.  Even my first great hall is partially organic, since I'm mining out all the large jet clusters I find to make above ground towers out of.  I think that my fort has much architechtural potential!

P.S.: I've been writing a 'journal' from the point of view of my expedition leader, but hadn't gotten around to posting any of it yet.  If any would like to read it, tell me and I'll start a thread for it.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]