Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Architectural Styles  (Read 11911 times)

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Architectural Styles
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:25 am »

Post your architectural style!  How do you design your fortress.

Personally, I favor the vertical shaft design.  Everything in the fortress grows out of this central shaft, with an eye to the compact and aesthetic.  For instance, the workshops take up 3 z levels, with the top and bottom layers having 8 workshops each, arranged as a rosette around the shaft, and the middle layer having 2 5x5 workshops and 4 3x3 workshops.
I can generally fit everything in 13-14 z levels, although the most recent civforge might require me to expand.

So, how do you arrange your fortresses?  Do you follow an ordered, preset pattern or do you favor an organic design?  Rounded corners or sharp edges?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Architectural Styles
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:32:47 am »

I generally go for above ground.

my curent fortress is an experiment, whering I'm embarking in a desert, and importing all stone and wood.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:10:25 am »

I prefer a branching approach. A entrance area that splits into a decorative area, a living area, and a working area. The decorative area splits into tombs, throne room, and noble quarters. Living area splits into jails, dining hall, and bedrooms. Work area splits into workshops and stockpiles. There is usually a mine or something coming off the living quarters branch. I generally don't work to "mine out" any area, so it generally looks pretty chaotic, wandering through veins of ore and heading off in strait lines.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:17:55 am »

In a nutshell, a horizontal hall leading to a Shaft of All Things. Above-ground structures and secondary shafts added as I go for whatever reason. Living areas are often mined out, smoothed veins to up the happiness quotient.

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:31:46 am »

A vertical shaft with all common areas around it a few Z levels deep.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 11:34:14 am »

I tend to use a Greek cross layout.  It's laughably easy to designate, too: a 3x3 staircase array in the center, with each arm of the cross being a single Shift+direction x 3 hallway.  I can even use Shift+direction to define the rooms.  And I make massive stockpiles in each of the corners, so I never run out of space for things.

A visual example of my layout:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sanity is for the weak.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:22:23 pm »

I used to do the Shaft Of All Things style of building but now my layouts are more organic.  Basically sprawled out wherever things fit.  Messy as hell but I cant be bothered to make intricate designs.
I've experimented with spiral ramps and such but they are such a main to designate.

Been messing with a more decentralized design but havent got the hang of it 
Worship!

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:40:09 pm »

Lately, lots of open space, open multi-z-level hallways, with ramps to other levels running parallel, and large, pillared dining halls. Not very efficient, but good to visualise.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:07:59 pm »

Large cube, which is divided into 19x19 squares on each layer. Between each 19x19 block there is 3-wide up/down stair, which goes from top of cube to the very bottom.
Such design is less optimal than sphere, but easier to make.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:49:12 pm by Urist McDepravity »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 08:52:01 pm »

I tend to use a Greek cross layout.  It's laughably easy to designate, too: a 3x3 staircase array in the center, with each arm of the cross being a single Shift+direction x 3 hallway.  I can even use Shift+direction to define the rooms.  And I make massive stockpiles in each of the corners, so I never run out of space for things.

A visual example of my layout:

I like this design...

Typically I never play a fort long enough to actually make finished architecture, but this is what I usually designate:

I ramp down until I hit stone (or just mine into a cliff/mountain) then make a long 23-33 tile long corridor large enough for a wagon, which loops around so that the trade depot, which is after that, isn't as vulnerable. I have a drawbridge between the corridor and the trade depot, with another drawbridge plus two doors in a short 2-tile wide corridor which leads down straight into the barracks (which has fortifications on the level above to allow marksdwarves to shoot down, and I link these fortifications to others at the end of the outside corridor). I also make the entrance to the mines just inside the barracks, in case of Fun. I then make another drawbridge, then a long 2-tile corridor, then I use a simple lobby-room design with a large dining room in the center and 2x3 rooms coming off it, with up/down stairways leading to food stockpiles, workshops, and farms.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 08:53:33 pm »

I go with a highly modular design. Every room, including apartment complexes, are eight-by eight and laid upon a grid, with stairways in the middle and two by two doorways leading between rooms, like so:

Legend:
Every workshop room has its input stockpile directly above it, if possible, and it's output directly below. This results in large "industry towers" running through the fortress, leading from raw materials at the top down to finished goods at the bottom.

I find that this design is quite efficient, and requires little planning. Even if something goes wrong, most of the rooms are interchangeable, making fixes simple.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 09:34:24 pm »

My fort design uses a spiraling central ramp with large amounts of open space and branching zones for specific industry (link).

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 09:46:18 pm »

I usually make one massive center hallway with rooms off of that, one of those being the central staircase shaft.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 10:46:39 pm »

Design scheme:
Each 'module' can be sticked in any 19x19 block, so its quite universal. Workshops usually have input/output stockpile blocks on z+1 and z-1 levels.
Plus theres module for royal quarter, where whole block is divided into 3 rooms for single noble.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:48:55 pm by Urist McDepravity »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »

90% of this thread is rephrasing "I like to have a square/circular design with a central staircase/rampway that everything else branches off of." This is something that's always kind of annoyed me when I skim the DFMA - regardless of the specifics, the general designs are always the same. People also seem to repeat the same kind of designs across their own forts as well. I don't really come across really interesting, unique designs very often any more, probably about once a month. I'd like to see more gentle curves and sprawling organic waterways, that sort of thing. All this modular design is efficient and all, and no offense to those who use it because it's a good tactic and I completely understand why, but frankly I find it really damned boring.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7