Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood-soaked Weapons  (Read 1632 times)

Murgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood-soaked Weapons
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:20:29 pm »

So, I have been doing my best to coddle my militia commander, not as in keeping him locked up in an ivory tower somewhere, but by giving him the best equipment available, and having him kill a whole lot of gobbos and other creatures without letting him get overwhelmed and killed.  Unfortunately he grew attached to the bismuth bronze axe he originally used, and won't switch to anything better.  Fortunately, he's hacked apart just shy of 200 creatures with this thing, and now he has given it a name.  Does naming a normal weapon give it artifact status, with all of the bonuses that apply to it?  I noticed that he was not hitting quite as much in the later sieges with more skillful and better armed gobbos, but once he named it he became a whirlwind of gore again, or at least seemed to do better.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:09:54 pm by Murgen »
The Gremlin punches The Dog in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Monom Edtulsolon, Dog (Tame) has been struck down.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Blood-soaked Weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:47:55 pm »

I am afraid there is not enough testing on the matter. The general consensus seems to be that naming has no effect on a weapon's performances but noone is quite sure.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 03:39:04 pm »

I'm not much of a military-minded fortress overseer, but to throw logic in there, would naming a weapon make it sharper or harder?
If he is indeed improved post-naming, it could be some psychological effect, perhaps more confidence in his weapon now that it has been christened in the moist body-juice of his foes.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 01:57:26 am »

Wasn't Toady himself saying in one of DF Talks that named weapons would become indestructible?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:11:49 am »

I think he was talking about the future of artifacts.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:23:43 am »

I'm not much of a military-minded fortress overseer, but to throw logic in there, would naming a weapon make it sharper or harder?
If he is indeed improved post-naming, it could be some psychological effect, perhaps more confidence in his weapon now that it has been christened in the moist body-juice of his foes.
... Which MIGHT have a minor effect on accuracy, which, if at all, is the only thing that the title would affect, just like artifact status does now.

So in the end we are where we have begun.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:27:21 am »

forbid the axe?

but i dont think a name is anything beyond just some aesthetic badassery

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:49:31 am »

forbid the axe?

that probably(i.e. definitely) would not work. The guy is attached to it. When you were a child, and you had your favorite blanket, did you ever set it down ever for any reason at all? Probably not.

Maybe a dwarf wielding a crossbow ballista will grow attached and name it "Sasha".
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 10:51:26 am »

forbid the axe?

that probably(i.e. definitely) would not work. The guy is attached to it. When you were a child, and you had your favorite blanket, did you ever set it down ever for any reason at all? Probably not.

Maybe a dwarf wielding a crossbow ballista will grow attached and name it "Sasha".
It needs really expensive bolts.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:53:26 am »

forbid the axe?

And an ammo chain.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 11:54:27 am »

forbid the axe?

And an ammo chain.

Ulrist McHeavy cancels order: interrupted by Sandwich.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 11:57:50 am »

It came up in the talks; a named weapon makes zero effect on the weapon's performance, the only change is that it becomes indestructable in the sense that, if you atom smash or pit the thing, it will reappear when you reclaim.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 01:31:07 pm »

Didn't toady say dwarves who get attached to weapons have penalties when not using it? Or am I making that up.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 04:35:44 pm »

It costs 400,000 dwarf bucks to fire this ballista, for twelve seconds.(Adamantine arrowheads and artifact bolt shafts?)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 04:39:30 pm »

Well, ballistas fire fairly slowly. So that could be a single bolt. I think that requires something akin to Planepacked for that.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.