Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading, and efficiency, and fortresses!  (Read 1007 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Trading, and efficiency, and fortresses!
« on: July 14, 2010, 05:15:35 pm »

Three more questions! (I sorta decided to make a new thread since these are completely seperate questions. x:)

1) One of the very first things I do after getting a mason/carpenter workshop open, is set up a craftsdwarf shop and have a dorf run off an endless chain of rock crafts. However, when the first elven caravan comes up, this causes a problem! -Every time-, wooden items seem to get into my bins of rock crafts (Or something. It's very hard to look through the hundreds of crafts to find one or two wooden things) and the dwarves throw a fit and run off. I'm careful not to trade the wooden bins themselves, but it still happens. I usually deconstruct the depot and get the elves' items anyway, BUT, is there a way to say, prevent -any- wooden items from being sent to the trading depot, even the bins themselves?

2) I've found the archive site of Dwarf Fortress maps, but I confess that it's extremely hard to read with the normal ASCII tiles. Are there any other sites or archives of maps with graphical tilesets? I've been hoping to dig around maps of experienced players looking for building tips for efficiency. I've already got the shaft-centered fortress method down, but that's about it!

3) Is there a modified keybind file on the internet somewhere (are keybinds even stored in a file?) that tries to "even things out"? Having almost every different menu use different keys to get around it gets frustrating very quickly.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Trading, and efficiency, and fortresses!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:13:48 pm »

You could designate a seperate stockpile for wooden crafts and forbid them when the hippies come.

Alternatively, you could only make stone crafts, seeing that you'll be up to your beard in it anyway. I generally save wood for important things like beds, pipes, and cages.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:48:03 pm »

The map archive does have graphical tileset maps. You just have to sift through, since it's dependent on the tileset of the uploader.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »

You can see my take on a spiral ramp entrance here:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-24426-spiralrampsmain

Its a completely open air spiral ramp. You can see snow at the bottom where the trade depot is.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:10:58 pm »

Oh, wow. I feel stupid now.  :-[  :'( Thank you very much, though!

Its a completely open air spiral ramp. You can see snow at the bottom where the trade depot is.

Wow! That, is beautiful. I've been afraid to make large open spaces like that since I don't know if a large unsupported roof can cause cave-ins with DF2010, for the most part.

The custom workshops are the most interesting part. Any chance you'd share those?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:16:23 pm by Tokeli »

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Re: Trading, and efficiency, and fortresses! And a world-gen question!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:18 pm »

Just gonna ask this here instead of making -another- thread.

I've found an amazingly perfect noob-friendly embark location and wanna share it on the WorldGen thread, but didn't save the seed for it! Is there a way to dump the world info or find the seed for that exact world? And an easy way to find my own fortress so I don't have to dig through the 200 volcanoes in my world.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:05 am »

Abandon fortress, go back to the world through legends mode, P to export the worldgen info.
Then to find the embark point, go back into fortress mode, R to reclaim your previously abandoned fortress, note the location on the world map.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 10:34:26 am »

Wow! That, is beautiful. I've been afraid to make large open spaces like that since I don't know if a large unsupported roof can cause cave-ins with DF2010, for the most part.

The custom workshops are the most interesting part. Any chance you'd share those?

In theory the great halls I make should be immune to cave ins, even if it was built in the 2d version. If you notice I make frequent use of natural stone pillars. And these aren't matchsticks either, but huge, wide, natural stone pillars, the kind that look like they can hold up a roof.

Also I pretend that my miners are smart enough to carve out vaulted ceilings when they did. :D

Custom workshops are basically just pretty looking things that contain custom reactions. The custom reactions are essentially either training reactions that you can find in the modding forum as well as cheat reactions to produce stone or gems.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 10:47:45 am »

Cave-ins in DF2010 work exactly the same as in 40d, ie anything connected to the ground at all will never cave in (unless that connection is destroyed) and things that do not have a connection will cave in unless you have cave-ins set to NO in the init.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:46:13 pm »

Wait until you have random foreign clothing scattered outside your fortress after many battles. You grab it all, shove it in bins and store it in a finished goods stockpile. Then you try to sell it to the elves, picking the items carefully, trying not to get a single wooden item offered for sale. Then they get all arrogant and refuse to trade, leaving you to wonder what's wrong.

Then you realize one of the items was decorated with wood. Go berserk. Pull the lever. Fun ensues.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 01:13:50 pm »

I don't even bother trading with the elves. The only things of marginal value elves bring would be wood, which I then shove into my wood furnaces right away to make charcoal.

I just make a couple cheap metal trinkets, or sell them a couple roasts and its taken care of. If I'm annoyed by them I just seize the goods.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 01:27:05 pm »

Augh, help! Every time a trader comes to my outpost, they leave all their goods! Is this because of the no-wagon bug, since they have nothing to load their goods back into? I'm worried this will effect the future caravans since they just wander off without any of their stuff after I give them a huge amount of profit.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 01:42:11 pm »

Are they being attacked?  If they get attacked, they'll run away.  Otherwise, assuming they have a path to the map edge, they should be taking their stuff with them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 02:41:47 pm »

No, they're not being attacked, and no thieves were found either. They're deep within my fortress, past a couple of layers of trap defenses. They seem to have taken my crafts on their sole donkey, but left -everything- of theirs. A very large pile of abandoned things I am 100% sure I did not trade for, sitting in my depot. Which probably puts their profit in the red. :( And I didn't try any of the exploits that cause them to leave their objects, either. They happily traded and everything.

I've noticed elven caravans leave all of their stuff when they get pissed and refuse to trade, as well. I think this might be a bug, because this has happened on more than one fortress!