Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Master's Thesis Based on DF???  (Read 2252 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Master's Thesis Based on DF???
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:09 pm »

I cry a bit that you can get a masters of science without science. I wonder what the other requirements are, as this is in partial fulfillment?

I found the thesis, which admittedly I only skimmed, to be lacking in conclusions, hypotheses, and insight. There was too much focus on the examples, and too little generalization to understand the concepts. Maybe this exists in a detailed reading. A transcript of the defense would probably be quite awesome to read, and much better than the thesis itself.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
Re: Master's Thesis Based on DF???
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 02:23:06 pm »

I think he focuses too much on too few examples. There are more storys available that might be not as awesomely cruel as boatmurdered, but a good sample of player storywriting none the less.

Also I feel, it lacks largely in explanation of the things visible on the included pictures. Someone, who has never seen this game before will be very confused and unable to comprehend the events described, unless doing some massive research into the games mechanics first.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.
Pages: 1 [2]