Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading: You can have my goods but not my barrels.  (Read 721 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading: You can have my goods but not my barrels.
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:20:42 am »

Hi!
So I've finally (5 dwarven years) got my lazy architect to design me a trade depot. There wasn't really much I needed so I didn't bother until now, but I have to much prepared (maserwork) meals these days, so why not sell them!
Ok hauling the barrels of food over for trading went well, got a trader ready to trade etc...
Now however I can't seem to trade my food without trading the barrels with it! I want those barrels, most of them are quite valuable. Yes I have a legendary carpenter making masterwork barrels and then having a legendary bonecarver adorn them. I like pretty barrels and I don't want to trade them.
So how do I trade the contents of the barrel without losing the barrel? I could set goods to be hauled seperatly from the food stockpile but moving everything without barrles is such a pain!

P.S I also like pretty buckets. I have a masterwork bucket with turtle shell handle encircled with bands of electrum and adorned with 4 different type of gems. My milker feels like a king.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading: You can have my goods but not my barrels.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:30:13 am »

You can do that with bins but not with barrels of food. This is why you have a separate stockpile just for prepared food which doesn't accept barrels ever.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:37:25 am »

Meh I guess I'll just have to sell the barrles for now then, such a pity  :(

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:50:20 am »

Convert the food in the barrels into Lavish Meals. These don't go into barrels and good ones can sell for 10000+. I can generally buy out an entire caravan with a few of them. They seem to last forever as well as long as they are in the food stockpile. And your dwarves will be pleased when they eat the ones you don't sell.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:53:21 am »

You can do that with bins but not with barrels of food. This is why you have a separate stockpile just for prepared food which doesn't accept barrels ever.

One of the first times I played I tried to do this... I have never tried since because it totally fucked up ;)  Basically I ended up with no drink, all barrels taken by seeds and food, even though food was not allowed in that storage area.

....Lavish Meals. These don't go into barrels.....

Hmm I dont really know about that, in some forts I make nothing but lavish meals, and my barrels end up full of food, ill have to check that.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:57:22 am »

One of the first times I played I tried to do this... I have never tried since because it totally fucked up   Basically I ended up with no drink, all barrels taken by seeds and food, even though food was not allowed in that storage area.

Set barrel limits on your food stock piles always. If you can't see empty barrels in your finished goods stock pile then you need to make more!

and my barrels end up full of food

Yeah its very easy to overproduce from farming. I generally run 4 4x4 farms, but by the second-third year I have to set them to be fallow half the time, even with 100 dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:59:08 am by billw »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:00:12 am »

Stacks of prepared meals will go into barrels, but only if they're below a certain size.  Lavish Meal stacks are usually too large to fit into barrels, but not always, and if your dwarves are eating them the stack will eventually be reduced to the point where it can be put in a barrel.

What I always do is make multiple food stockpiles.  I make one or more stockpiles which only accept foods that need to be kept in barrels (booze, milk, syrup, etc..) and set those to accept maximum number of barrels allowed.  I also make one or more stockpiles that only accept food that doesn't need to be kept in barrels (plants, meat, seeds, powder, and prepared meals) and set the maximum barrels for that stockpile to zero.  This keeps the dwarves from wasting barrels on storing plants, and lets me sell prepared meal stacks without selling the barrel too.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:17:15 am »

Yeah its very easy to overproduce from farming. .... even with 100 dwarves.

Yeah that was a big problem I was having at first, As I normally have a continuous supply of fresh meat from too many animals let alone plants...

Stacks of prepared meals will go into barrels, but only if they're below a certain size.  Lavish Meal stacks are usually too large to fit into barrels, but not always, and if your dwarves are eating them the stack will eventually be reduced to the point where it can be put in a barrel....

Good to know, thanks.
 What I would love to be able to do is keep a set amount of seeds, anything over that is automatically dumped, you don't need more than 50 of a given seed at one time. Because everytime my barrels are becomming loaded up with seeds... perhaps I don't make enough bags for the seeds to be put in?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:24:52 am »

Seeds are limited to 200 of each type.  I usually create a dedicated seed-only stockpile near the farms with zero max barrels.  If you have bags, it doesn't take much room at all to store the maximum number of seeds you can have.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 12:41:46 pm »

You can mass-dump your seed stocks, then manually un-tag the barrels and bags.  Your dwarves will come and grab the seeds out of them, leaving the now-empty containers behind for future use.  The obvious downside of this, of course, is the 3000 "dump item" jobs that it can lead to :-\
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.