Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An efficient, fun and easy way to give a dwarf the water ride of their life!  (Read 1294 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile

Are your dwarves angry? Are they demanding ridiculous items? Are your dwarves depressed? Fear no longer! Simply dig a channel in a brook, place a grate on top, connect said grate to a lever, add a dwarf to a 1x1 burrow(No more than 1, or else it'll crash) on top of said grate. Have another dwarf nearby to pull the lever. Next thing you know, the dwarf is having the thrill of his life.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Exit ramp optional? :P
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile

Exit ramp optional? :P
Why, of course! after all, as soon as they go on a thrill ride, they won't stop!
Proud of my heritage.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was hoping this was talking about water transportation systems :/
damn.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile

yah i was hoping for water transportation as well. high pressure water does not push things much, with the teleportation thing it has going.

also, i can recall from exploring forts several versions back in adventure mode that once you were under the invisible "skin" on the surface of a brook you really could not get out again. is that still true in the current version? because if so, once under that skin, your dwarf is done for. kindof like being stuck under a transparent layer of glass.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've had some success with moving items saving a lot of hauling, but creatures tend to move themselves fine as is. (unless gimped or unconcious)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile

moving creatures by force using water is for goblins and other siegers. plus migrants you dont want. i had an entrance hallway that could be flash flooded from a giant aboveground resovoir. the goblins would not be moved around by the flash flood, but when the water began to drain away they went with it, all the way down to the chasm. some of them survived the water and the fall and ended up fighting off hordes of chasm creatures. but it was really ineficient, especially concerning the goblins who were right next to the high pressure water outlet, they were allways fine. a better way of moving creatures around with water would be a lot of fun.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought of a waterlock entry way design after seeing a decorative waterfall shove a grown dwarf through a fortification.  Basically a tunnel with fortifications at the end and floor grates just after that to let the water drain away. Set a meeting area at the end of the tunnel, when migrants you want to let in show up, turn on the water to push them into the fort.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile

Maybe to dispose of nobles have the grate water-slide off into the nearest pool of magma?
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile

Maybe to dispose of nobles have the grate water-slide off into the nearest pool of magma?
Luxury cruises?
Proud of my heritage.