Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This land is your land, this land is my land.  (Read 874 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This land is your land, this land is my land.
« on: July 02, 2010, 04:26:44 am »

While doing a challenge involving having all dwarves have seperate plots, something occured to me.
Friends should be able to help out eachother on their farms and homes.
but the issue with it being, it is very difficult to keep up with, as starting dwarves are often friends with 2 dwarves, who would meet at their mutual friends home and become friends.
How difficult would it be to create an application which signals you that dwarves have become friends? and beyond that, how difficult would it be, to have owned property (set via beds tables and chairs ect) to be added to a burrow which each dwarf is linked to.

(if it isnt clear what I mean, I'm saying that I have 7 dwarves with 7 burrows, each dwarf has their own burrow which is used for their home, a land grant if you will. The dwarves will allow friends to come onto their land, by adding them to the list of dwarves on each burrow while keeping those burrows exclusively linked to the dwarf who owns the land)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: This land is your land, this land is my land.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »

It sounds like the burrow work wouldn't be too hard at all. Don't burrows act kind of like traffic zones act/meeting zones?

It's just you have to add more burrow as you expand their area iirc.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »

dwarves will only do work in their designated burrows, and if a meeting zone is present in them, will only go to that meeting zone.

the burrow work is a moderate pain in the butt to manually do this.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:45:33 pm »

I haven't seen anyone try to tempt doing anything with burrows or meeting zones. Modding wise at least. I've used burrows slightly here and there, but even then, it was very simple stuff.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:26:17 pm »

How difficult would it be to create an application which signals you that dwarves have become friends? and beyond that, how difficult would it be, to have owned property (set via beds tables and chairs ect) to be added to a burrow which each dwarf is linked to.

Presuming we can read dwarven relationships (which I think we can...doesn't Therepist do that?), writing a program that periodically looks at all relationships and tells you if a friendship (or any other relationship, for that matter) that didn't exist last time it looked shouldn't be terribly difficult to do.  Mind you, I've never done anything with reading memory, but still, from a programming standpoint, this shouldn't be any harder than Therapist was to design.  As for telling that program to play with burrows and other property...that should be possible.  Companion used to do all kinds of interesting things, so I can't image what you want to outside the realm of possibility.  It's just a matter of finding a capable programmer that's interested in the project.  I don't have enough experience to pull this off right now, though.  Sorry.