Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defending my fortress.  (Read 482 times)

Thermonuclear Catsplosion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Defending my fortress.
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:28 am »

I need tips and tricks, I'm on a map made primarily from Chalk, I have plenty of magnetite, limonite, and coal.
I want a mechanical defense, that is not a ton of traps, I dont know if i have magma on this map. I'm working on my soldiers, who will carry steel shortswords and wear leather armor. So far I have zero defense, other then the height of my fortress, I'm considering making the tower into a massive pillar, smoothing the sides, and adding ballistas along the path up it. Maybe a magma flooding device, if I find magma, we've already got bauxite.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Defending my fortress.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:57:51 am »

if you play 2010 you have magma, and leather wont be any good for you poor dwarfs :/

best early defense is to build a wall around your fort
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:13:13 am »

best early defense is a door.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:19:20 am »

I would recommend a large swath of upright steel spikes linked to a repeater behind a single row of cage traps. The cage traps get you your standard megabeasts (dragons, colossi, etc.) and a few gobbo prisoners to chuck into an arena (perhaps against said megabeasts) while the spikes punch large holes in everything else. A squad or two of axedwarves in full steel would be useful support for dealing with inorganic titans and FBs, just remember to shut off the repeater first. If the inorganic beast doesn't have an "upper body," "lower body," or "head" to sever, a cave-in machine, freeze trap, or obsidian casting machine is required.

So in order:

Cage traps (1 row, optional)
Menacing steel spikes (linked to repeater or lever set to be repeatedly pulled)
Cave-in machine (easiest to build/clean up after if you use constructed walls, most useful against slug/snail/blob beasts)
Axedwarves (for inorganics with removable vital bodyparts)

Remember to build a similar defense in your cavern entrance. Don't bother with the cage traps when dealing with the HFS, otherwise this still applies.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!