Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (uber) Farming  (Read 1272 times)

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
Re: (uber) Farming
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:18 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to require dwarves to eat larger stacks? Currently a dwarf is full after eating 1 plump helmet. If they instead would eat, say 15 plump helmets a meal, things would become a lot harder.

Or eating more often.

It's a viable solution.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 02:14:45 pm »

Again, this was all discussed in the Improved Farming thread (which is actually up on Eternal Voting Suggestions), but Toady doesn't want dwarves to eat more often (it causes too many problems with dwarves dropping what they are doing to go eat... although bringing a lunch box along would probably help solve such problems...)

Making dwarves eat larger stacks kinda-sorta solves the problem, but simply making food less plentiful/take longer to farm would be the easier solution, and is possible to do simply through modding, as was said earlier in this thread.  Also, large stacks might cause problems just with memory management, if you start having hundreds of piles of food, although this would, of course, be less significant than your typical stone surplus problem.

The other problem is that butchering used to provide one meat per size value of the animal, and now it provides more meat PLUS it provides at least one extra food item per organ that animal had.  This now means that a single cow can pretty much feed a 25-dwarf fortress for a year.  Scale as necessary, because you can easily get your cows to produce over a dozen offspring in a year, and cows don't eat anything, and are easily corraled or chained or caged.

Of course, farms are still quite easy and more automated.

Making animals actually need to eat would help solve that whole problem, but there should still be significant curbing of the raw amount of material you get from a single animal.

And this doesn't even go into the problem of dwarven caravans with barrels of, let's call them "delicacies", barrels full of Dragonfly Brains.  (Because I have learned I hate anything called a "delicacy".)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 03:58:21 pm »

Barrel of Dragonfly brains.... now thats alot of dragonflies... the amount produced in a square mile in a year?
Pages: 1 [2]