Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why is fortress mode in 31.xx simply awesome  (Read 4228 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is fortress mode in 31.xx simply awesome
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 04:16:15 pm »

Since my typical way of fighting large monsters is to cave things in on them, trap them, or drown them in magma, the invicibeasts aren't even that much of a downside for me, personally.  I love 31.04!

The increase in types of magma-safe stone is the most delightful change, if I had to pick.  No more relying on finding bauxite.

It's a joy. I've fired and rebuilt the same pancake trap 3 times now since 3 beasties have come from the same map entrance. The explosion followed by some poor dwarf having to haul the enormous corpse out over the next month :D

Lots of prepared intestines.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 10:06:14 pm »

The hospitals, migrants are diverse and interesting individually, dwarf profiles are more detailed, the huge improvement with announcements (YES I STRUCK SALTPETER THATS FANTASTIC NOW IM DEALING WITH A SIEGE PLZ TY) caverns are obviously improved, the sheer amount of customization for military is brilliant (just needs fine tuning and bug fixing), etc etc

I'm still curving into the new versions (just started playing DF a little while ago, it's hard to let go of 40d and step up to an even more complicated version) so theres also the fun in knowing I have so much to discover

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 10:23:40 pm »

I have to also thank Deathworks for being so positive. Seeing that familiar 'Hi!' at the start of each post gives me an amused smile.

I've got to say, I've found nothing about the new DF to hate, frankly. Yes, there are bugs to be worked out... But, it's a game in development, that's to be expected. I utterly love healthcare and the new military. It's beginning to feel like things are moving forward, and we're seeing some really neat things added here. Bound to be some bumps, but.. well, it's amusing in it's own way even when they fail to suture someone forever. I know Toady's working on it.

I learned from this thread that I can edit the behavior of pausing through the announcement.txt file. That. Is. Awesome.

The new underground is a complete ton of fun, and I like how I don't have to generate billions of worlds to get a perfect setup. I pretty much embark wherever I feel, now based more on how close I want to be to other civilizations, aquifiers, and a few other factors,.. Heck, I don't even worry about sand anymore, since it's now a trade item. No more being afraid of mooded dwarves freaking out for it.

There's nothing not to love about 0.31, in this dorf's view.

Wulfe
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »

I have to agree 31.XX is a big improvement over 40d#, and 40d# was a good version to begin with.  There are some pretty big issues that have yet to be fixed (like the combat system has all kinds of problems) but all of them are smaller then 40d's gods-among-mortals champions problem. 

and of course yay for deathworks :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:56:52 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 07:24:51 am »

On top of the various features pointed out by others (and personally, I like the guaranteed abundance of underground wood/water, magma, ore), the materials system is very promising to me. With custom professionnames, the military isn't hard to deal with aside from sidestepping some bugs which will be fixed in the short-term. Combat unbalances? That's a combination of the materials system not having been optimised (something the community can do - see the combat overhaul mod) and the combat AI not realising "if they're unconscious, I should go for the kill" when deciding what combatants do each turn.

The materials system and other features improves the scope of modding a lot.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 10:33:04 am »

Hi!

First of all thank you to everyone who has been responding. I am really happy to see people sharing their various thoughts and ideas.

General: I modified the first post and added a small clarification about what the aim of the thread is as there has been one post that was not really what I had hoped for. Basically, I don't want to see any arguing here, but rather positive rallying and exchange of positive experiences and advice.

Noble Digger, Rdwulfe, and o_O[WTFace]: Thank you for your kind words of support. I am glad to see that my attempts are having the hoped-for effect for at least some people.

Gus Smedstad: Your method of handling important messages has actually also helped me improve my system: I have now added boxes to the birth messages as well making it even easier for me to split my attention.

Noble Digger and UmbrageOfSnow: Actually, for a few days, I have been planning towards moving my fortress in a more violent direction (once my underground city has at least its basics standing) by allowing INVADERS and also penetrating the caverns. Funnily enough, I have also thought about putting up cave-in traps for the big nasties... However, I am not sure whether I get through with this fortress before the next update (I always begin from a clean slate with each version).

On Hospitals (Sorry, mentioned by too many people): The increased survival rates of dwarves is also a big plus for me. And while I have not had that many run-ins with hospital usage yet, the things I saw were quite interesting in the description and in the procedure (I am still somewhat drunk from seeing a dwarf using a bucket (of water, I think) and soap when cleaning the wounds of a patient).

Combat Quirks: Since I am mostly playing peaceful, I don't have much contact with the combat quirks (except that wooden spikes in weapon traps are not as powerful as before), but there is one bug/quirk that I actually like and that has helped me occasionally: Any type of armor/clothing already gives a very good protection against smaller threats like animals. While not realistic, I think it already has saved a few lives on that map where my giant tigers hunted elephants :) :) :)

=========

Again, I really want to say that I am thankful for you sharing your experiences and ideas. Please keep doing so - as you have seen, you can inspire your fellow players and maybe discover new applications or ideas yourself.

Deathworks

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 01:08:35 pm »

I like the burrows system. I create a Farming Burrow that contains the fields, workshops, some nearby housing, the food output store room and a top-most well. Then I assign my farmers (non-herbalists) to stay in that burrow, so they don't wander far away. It gives me a reason to have several dining halls.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 01:12:45 pm by AngleWyrm »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 01:17:02 pm »

I dread the day that 31.XX becomes a finalized, stable version with the major bugs hammered out.

I will never go outside ever again.  :(

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 05:54:44 pm »

Hyndis, just counter that temptation with all the future features you'll get down the years. If you know you could do something even more epic in the future, it slightly dents the desire to do something now.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 02:02:13 pm »

Well, my favourite things about the latest release are:

Genetics: YES! Now I can get more out of my camels with selective breeding!

Milking: Woot, now I don't need a chasm for milk!

Announcments: I don't get bothered by "you have struck microcline" every five secs!

I perticularly love how I can make it so as I get a puase when new animals are born, then means I don't risk weak camel calves growing up and infecting my herd of Gigantic, Muscular Camels Belarded by hanging rolls of fat!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 02:07:15 pm »

31.06 is gonna come out with a slew of bugs fixed. Hell yes.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 03:20:41 pm »

The main FFFFFFFFUUUUUUU part of all these news is that i still can't make a special burrow to restrict the passage through/within.
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 [2]