Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How do I make custom candy?  (Read 3567 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make custom candy?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 08:51:27 am »

Ah, I see. But, candy needs to reach temperatures of 300 degrees fahrenheit - so won't the water just boil away before it transmits the heat unless you boil it ludicrously fast and keep adding more?
In any case I guess I'll just buy the mold online. :/

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:01 am »

Ah, I see. But, candy needs to reach temperatures of 300 degrees fahrenheit - so won't the water just boil away before it transmits the heat unless you boil it ludicrously fast and keep adding more?
In any case I guess I'll just buy the mold online. :/

Yeah, so you keep adding lots and lots of water >_>  Double boilers aren't that bad to deal with, seriously, and you can create a makeshift one yourself quite easily.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 05:09:06 pm »

Water doesn't evaporate that fast (It's one of the slowest evaporating liquids and evaporating it costs loads of energy), so you can just pour in a cup every now and then.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 05:54:16 pm »

Okay, I'll try that. How do I make a makeshift double boiler?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 06:01:55 pm »

Okay, I'll try that. How do I make a makeshift double boiler?

Get a bowl that can take some heat and transfers it well (so something metal, in all likelihood).  Put the stuff you want to melt in it.  Float it in a saucepan/pot full of water.  Put the ensemble on your stove and turn up the heat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »

Okay, thanks Vector.

Ohshiiiiiii-
I just remembered that I wanted to put a design on the candies, either imprinted in them, or jutting out. How do I do this?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2010, 07:20:30 pm »

Okay, thanks Vector.

Ohshiiiiiii-
I just remembered that I wanted to put a design on the candies, either imprinted in them, or jutting out. How do I do this?

You pick an easier project that has less likelihood of total failure.

In more seriousness, you've got your work cut out for you already.  Do a practice round or two--this is a lot harder than chocolate-dipped strawberries, and my mother and I managed to screw those up the first two or three times we made them.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2010, 07:23:36 pm »

Hrm.
There is the possibility of using two-part silicone molding putty to make molds for the jutting-out side. Should I test it with the putty first, or the silicone molds I was going to use before?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2010, 07:27:32 pm »

Quote from: Vector Do a practice round or two[/quote

Yeah, whatever you decide to do, be prepaired to practice it a lot.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]