Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: THIS! IS! SPARTA!  (Read 4834 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THIS! IS! SPARTA!
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
Ah, yes. Another series of games based around the idea of "Here's a bullet. It kills you. Avoid a shitstorm of bullets, win game" idea. But this time they applied decent music and was made by the Japanese.
When will people learn that spamming instadeath in predictable patterns that change once in a while does NOT mean difficulty?
Minor correction: made by a Japanese 1-man dev team, who did all the music, art, writing and programming by himself. As for difficulty, it varies depending on player skillset of course - some just are that good with their reflexes, memorisation and precision but most face difficulty even at "Easy mode" (which is harder than anything mainstream shooter games do). Incidentally, a lot of the fanbase are in this category of "I can't beat Easy mode" - they're in it for numerous other reasons as the series has expanded out very far due to the fanbase.

He just spams more bullets than many are able to dodge. Simple as that.
My point being, it's like Toady went and took out most random elements of this game replacing them with stuff that changed once in a while. And how often do you see people not being able to start anything remotely resembling a fortress? All I really ask for in Touhou is some kind of randomization, not patterns of bullets flying your way, in fact, flying in every way possible including backwards and targetting something off in the sky that is possibly not you. I'd appreciate it if you knew you're the target here. I might not have played the game myself, and I may even put it to a test when I have the time, but such things being hard-coded don't appeal to me.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 02:45:31 pm »

Why must it always be Japanese schoolgirls??
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
Ah, yes. Another series of games based around the idea of "Here's a bullet. It kills you. Avoid a shitstorm of bullets, win game" idea. But this time they applied decent music and was made by the Japanese.
When will people learn that spamming instadeath in predictable patterns that change once in a while does NOT mean difficulty?
Minor correction: made by a Japanese 1-man dev team, who did all the music, art, writing and programming by himself. As for difficulty, it varies depending on player skillset of course - some just are that good with their reflexes, memorisation and precision but most face difficulty even at "Easy mode" (which is harder than anything mainstream shooter games do). Incidentally, a lot of the fanbase are in this category of "I can't beat Easy mode" - they're in it for numerous other reasons as the series has expanded out very far due to the fanbase.

He just spams more bullets than many are able to dodge. Simple as that.
My point being, it's like Toady went and took out most random elements of this game replacing them with stuff that changed once in a while. And how often do you see people not being able to start anything remotely resembling a fortress? All I really ask for in Touhou is some kind of randomization, not patterns of bullets flying your way, in fact, flying in every way possible including backwards and targetting something off in the sky that is possibly not you. I'd appreciate it if you knew you're the target here. I might not have played the game myself, and I may even put it to a test when I have the time, but such things being hard-coded don't appeal to me.
Oh so you're looking for the 9th Touhou game, PoFV. This is the one Touhou game that does randomise (ok so fine, there's still a degree of pattern forming, but it's overlaid onto randomised, semi-aimed 'filler') - it's actually a VS shooter.

Why must it always be Japanese schoolgirls??
Actually, only 1 out of some 60+ (100+ if you include the forgotten characters before the Windows versions) is a (former) schoolgirl. I'll take your point that they all LOOK that age, though only a few actually are.

Incidentally, is it ok to derail this thread continuously? I'd be happy to continue discussing in another thread.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]