Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: THIS! IS! SPARTA!  (Read 4837 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THIS! IS! SPARTA!
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 11:06:06 am »

Why have 30 badass units when you can have..300!!
Who needs 300 when 30 can take on 8 million?
No way in hell am I giving up my Sparta fort for one based on Touhou.  Yes, they might be powerful.  Yes, I can always invent another imaginary thing and just say "AND IT SHOOTS A MILLION BILLION BULLETS EVERY SECOND" and it will be just as powerful.  No, I'm not impressed.

Damn this fort will be difficult without all the ornate engravings in the dining room which dwarfs apparently love so much its like there's time-release xanax mist emitters in the wall.
Hm.  Masterwork furniture might be more important, then.  I think that, combined with large spaces and some suitable statuary, should keep morale up.

Of course the slave pits will get nothing but plump helmets, water, and a (if they're lucky) a spot without mud to sleep in, so they're pretty much boned.  But that's intentional.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 11:07:52 am »

-Stone will be quarried, turned into blocks, and a city will be built above ground.  It won't actually be lived in since we're dwarves, but it gives us something to do between butchering goblins and elves.

And don't build any city walls.  City walls are for pansy civilizations like Athens.

(Most Greek city states had city walls (sensibly enough), although would often knock a hole in if one of their citizens won the at Olympic Games, to say "we have someone so badass living here, we can safely have a hole in our wall.  The Spartans considered themselves so badass that they didn't bother building a wall in the first place.  And the only honour they gave to their Olympic victors was a place in the front rank of the phalanx.)
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 11:21:30 am »

Housing, food storage, dining, etc, is all going to be above-ground in individual structures (eg: no dining halls in dorms).  I might build 'walls' out of dorm-style housing, but even then, it'll be putting people right on the front line.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 02:14:43 pm »

And don't build any city walls.  City walls are for pansy civilizations like Athens.

Funny you should say that...Sparta and Athens had a unique relationship...during times of general peace they would war with each other (don't know if it was war or war games...but either way) and when they faced a common enemy they would ally

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 02:28:51 pm »

Who needs 300 when 30 can take on 8 million?
No way in hell am I giving up my Sparta fort for one based on Touhou.  Yes, they might be powerful.  Yes, I can always invent another imaginary thing and just say "AND IT SHOOTS A MILLION BILLION BULLETS EVERY SECOND" and it will be just as powerful.  No, I'm not impressed.
What possibly gave you the idea I was giving that link to try and get you to change your fort? That was a direct response to Urist mc.miner's comment on "30" which played off nicely to the 30 in the above link. Hmm, I guess it was since 30 is about the right ballpark for your Sparta fort's military size while it's building up - sorry it caused you discomfort when you thought that link was directly addressed to you.

Incidentally, the protagonists weren't even shooting for the most part in that link, but you're clearly not interested so I'll leave it at that for others to read.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:40:13 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 11:21:36 am »

I thought Touhou was a danmaku shooter featuring shrine maidens?  Whats this about them not shooting?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:26:07 am by shadowform »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 11:29:21 am »

I thought Touhou was a danmaku shooter featuring shrine maidens?  Whats this about them not shooting?

I have no idea what that phrase means and I shall proceed to apply magma on it.

Anywho, anything that shoots and is made by you dosen't work. However, other civs don't have this disadvantage, even your fellow dwarves.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 11:33:20 am »

modify elves to have the name Persians and let them come in GREAT NUMBERS!!!!

Jamesein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 11:43:07 am »

Because that would result in fps death :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry could not resist.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 11:59:30 am »

modify elves to have the name Persians and let them come in GREAT NUMBERS!!!!
You know, all of those 2000 elves vs 20 dwarves (elf losses: 578 elves, dwarf losses: 1 cat) DO bear a stunning similarity...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:03 pm »

The original games of Touhou are danmaku shooters featuring a huge cast, with varying degrees of exalted power levels. The fanbase behind this series has created all sorts of amateur 'products' from this starting point - my link was one where the author took the cast, gave them a Spartan background and badass personalities, then proceeds to parody the 300 movie, frame-by-frame. The Touhou girls engage in danmaku shooting fights as a matter of duelist sports to settle disagreements - many are superior at melee combat even against zerg-size armies and the story in my link shows just this.

The fastest way to introduce what 'danmaku shooter' means is via a video. Here is a 3D rendition of a boss fight. The original games look like this. Key points: 1) "danmaku" means "curtain fire" and is loosely translated as "bullet hell". 2) The bullet patterns are beautiful when you're not concentrating on avoiding death.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 12:18:31 pm by Psieye »
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 12:30:48 pm »

The fastest way to introduce what 'danmaku shooter' means is via a video. Here is a 3D rendition of a boss fight. The original games look like this. Key points: 1) "danmaku" means "curtain fire" and is loosely translated as "bullet hell". 2) The bullet patterns are beautiful when you're not concentrating on avoiding death.

Ah, yes. Another series of games based around the idea of "Here's a bullet. It kills you. Avoid a shitstorm of bullets, win game" idea. But this time they applied decent music and was made by the Japanese. 
When will people learn that spamming instadeath in predictable patterns that change once in a while does NOT mean difficulty?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 01:15:35 pm »

The Touhou girls...  as spartans?

"Our arrows shall block out the sun!"
"Uh, our arrows already block out the sun."
"Yes, well...  then we'll both fight in the shade!"

Maybe, once crossbows get fixed, I'll have to do the same thing danmaku style with a legion of legendary marksdwarves.  I've heard bolts take longer to kill people in this version, so you might be able to get some pretty impressive sustained firing, at least until everyone runs out of ammo.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2010, 01:25:35 pm »

"Uh, our arrows are miniature suns."

Fixed that for you.
Nothing important here, move along.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2010, 02:05:28 pm »

The actual lines from that link (page 46 of 86):

"Our 100 FPS danmaku will shine brighter than a thousand suns, and you will burn until there are not even ashes left!"
"Is that so~?" *zone of darkness*
"!!? My eyes? I can't see!!"
"In that case, we shall fight in the dark."

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
Ah, yes. Another series of games based around the idea of "Here's a bullet. It kills you. Avoid a shitstorm of bullets, win game" idea. But this time they applied decent music and was made by the Japanese.
When will people learn that spamming instadeath in predictable patterns that change once in a while does NOT mean difficulty?
Minor correction: made by a Japanese 1-man dev team, who did all the music, art, writing and programming by himself. As for difficulty, it varies depending on player skillset of course - some just are that good with their reflexes, memorisation and precision but most face difficulty even at "Easy mode" (which is harder than anything mainstream shooter games do). Incidentally, a lot of the fanbase are in this category of "I can't beat Easy mode" - they're in it for numerous other reasons as the series has expanded out very far due to the fanbase.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4