Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Rationale for Bronze and Iron  (Read 3593 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: The Rationale for Bronze and Iron
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 04:28:02 pm »

http://www.gizagrid.com/body_egyptian_iron.html

Seems like the Iron Age and Bronze Age were more or less myths. Also I recall Goliath had a spear head weighed in iron while the rest of his equipment was weighed in bronze or brass, and the Iliad makes frequent mention of bronze cuirasses and iron spears. I suspect a reason exists for this.

I read that whole article and found it quite fascinating.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 11:54:47 am »

Cast iron has even more carbon in it, plus some silica.  It is hard (I presume harder than high-carbon steel, but I couldn't find any stats), easy to melt and cast (hence the name), but too brittle to be used for edged weapons/tools.

Cast iron (I'll refer here to the most common GRAY cast iron, whose coloring is due to the presence of graphite flakes/nodules in the iron matrix) IS hard, but definitely not harder than high-carbon steel: typical Brinell hardness for cast iron used for a marine engine block is around 200, while high carbon steel (quenched and tempered) is normally in the 400-450-ish...

The best tradeoff between hardness and toughness (impact resistance) is obtained using a low-carbon, high-alloyed steel which gives the part a very tough core, and then performing a localized hardening of the surface by thermal and chemical treatment (surface quench, carburising, nitriding, carbo-nitriding).

That'll teach me to have a quick read about one subject on Wikipedia, and then extrapolate from there to a realated one.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 02:58:59 pm »

Hey I just cheated: I'm a post-mortem metallurgist so I spend at least 8 hours/day validating mechanical properties and microstructures of steel and (more rarely) other metals...
Pages: 1 2 [3]