Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Training Military  (Read 6065 times)

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training Military
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 01:49:27 pm »

[COLOR:0:7:0:1] should be  [COLOR:0:1:7:0:1]

reagent should be [REAGENT:A:1:WEAPON:WEAPON_AXE_TRAINING:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]

etc.

Then it works :).

I've made it to use 2 tiles though, one for a dwarf, another for a dummy.

It looks weird to see the dwarf on the same tile as the dummy.

Any chance you could post the code you ended up using?  I'm having trouble getting the dwarves to build it and sbe able to move afterwards (seems like they building it on an obstructed tile), and I don't understand the tile syntax well enough to fix it.

It looks like he included it as part of the "Genesis mod". Here's the building description from the mod:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 05:49:08 pm »

I just had a thought.

Is alchemy used for anything anymore? Or is it possible to make custom professions?

If so, isn't it possible to link reactions to professions? Or Buildings to professions? Thus we make a custom profession or labor, or simply set it to something like alchemy which isn't actually USED for anything, and have people trained THAT way.

Or link it to the architecture labpr and make the military the architects when off duty, or things like that.

Your thoughts guys?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 06:07:34 pm »

This post describes all the changes you need to make to create a fully working training dummy:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52988.msg1153152#msg1153152

I don't think that it's possible to make custom professions, but I find the amount of existing ones to be big enough for total conversion mods (and now that you can rename any profession it's totally cool).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 07:20:17 pm »

Is it in any way possible to add this building and it's reactions without generating a new world?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 10:07:32 pm »

Well, this is the single coolest thing I've seen in a while on DF. You're awesome, words fail, etc etc.

Can it train dodge?

Also how about something like, I dunno, a "pupil's desk" to train the student skill?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 02:32:29 pm »

Is it in any way possible to add this building and it's reactions without generating a new world?

As you have to add the reactions to entity_default.txt it will need a new world.

Well, this is the single coolest thing I've seen in a while on DF. You're awesome, words fail, etc etc.

Can it train dodge?

Also how about something like, I dunno, a "pupil's desk" to train the student skill?

I added a few more skills. Seems to work fine so far.

What to change:
Create building_training.txt, paste this into the file and save it:

Create reaction_training.txt, paste the following and save:

Add this to the dwarf section of entity_default.txt:

Then select a (civilian) dwarf for the building with 'q','P' (requiring a manager) and let them train away. Seems to be a nice solution until military training bugs are fixed.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:13 pm »

As you have to add the reactions to entity_default.txt it will need a new world.

It requires a regen because new entries were added to the buildings and reactions files, not because of the change to an entry in entity_default.  New entries require regen, changed entries don't.  (I create my reactions and buildings files with dummy entries, i.e. [CUSTOM_REACTION_1], so that I can add new reactions without a regen.  I do NOT include the reaction in entity_default until I have actually added information for a new custom reaction.  I've never had a problem with this method).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 03:13:13 pm »

Can it train dodge?

I have an obstacle course for training dodging and a library for training Student, Teacher, Appraisal and some other skills.

Check my mod, you need only building_*.txt and reaction_training.txt files, and to permit these buildings and reactions in the entity file.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3]