Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Training Military  (Read 6058 times)

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
Re: Training Military
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 01:03:42 am »

I'm not sure. I just did a search on the weapon names in the String Dump, and ignored any that were not in all caps...

Oh! Grip size. Or some metric like that is used to define on the sword a dwarf can use. SWORD is the name of the skill to use a Sword, then the creature's size and shape decides what TYPE of sword (Size) they can use. It's listed as Short Sword everywhere, because it is a short sword that is well... Short enough for a dwarf to use.

For weapons, their TYPE seems to be the SKILL used to wield it, whereas the SUBTYPE? is the actual definition name.
i'm left speachless because thats what i thought i was saying but in much less words.  :P

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 01:05:46 am »

Well, it was. It's just that I finished typing it seconds after you posted yours (Less than 8 seconds), and I didn't feel like throwing it all away. xD

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 01:22:10 am »

OH!

So HAMMER_WAR just uses the "Hammer" skill? War Axes use the "Axe" skill, and all swords use the "Sword" skill, not a skill based upon a particular weapon? Cool. Thanks.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 01:26:15 am »

HAMMER_WAR just happens to be the subtype of HAMMER weapons. Just like MICA is a subtype of INORGANIC. At least that's what I think is right.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 12:21:48 pm »

I'm trying it but it seems I didn't get something ...
The training dummy should appear in the workshops lists, right ?
There is the soap maker's one but not this one, for me ...
I made separate files for both the building and the reaction, could it come from here ?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 12:27:32 pm »

Wow, how did I miss it.

Man, it comes along with my Dwarven Healthcare nicely!

I'm so adding it to Genesis Mod (and of course I'm giving you a full credit because it was your idea to make a training dummy first ;)).

You get the idea. One caveat though, is that ANY dwarf who is not forbidden, somehow, from using the Training Dummy will use these 'reactions'. Further, their skills will increase at a much slower speed than Sparring with other Dwarves, but there's very little chance of injury.
Look, you can specify who uses workshop in 'P'rofile menu.

Also you have errors. Currently your workshop does not request reagents properly.

It should be
Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:A:1:WEAPON:WEAPON_AXE_TRAINING:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
etc.

Got it? :)

Also I think that training weapons are better there, at least because they won't grab real weapons you may want elsewhere.

P.S. Why does your training dummy require a BUCKET? For a hat? :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:00:53 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 01:40:43 pm »

I'm trying it but it seems I didn't get something ...
The training dummy should appear in the workshops lists, right ?
There is the soap maker's one but not this one, for me ...
I made separate files for both the building and the reaction, could it come from here ?

I *think* I've heard having seperate files for them is fine, but it they probably need to start with building and reaction, respectively.  Most likely though, the problem is you need to regen the world.

For modding:
If you modify an existing entry (say, change the reagents required for a reaction), you do not need to regen the world, just edit the raws in the save folder.
If you add a new entry (i.e. new buildings or reactions), you must regen the world to see them.

I've restarted a few times due to adding mods; one thing you can do if you like the location of your fortress is to abandon it (make a copy of the save folder first if you want), load it in legends mode, and export the world gen settings used, so that you can recreate the world.

Another thing I've done is to add about 15 buildings and 60 reactions to the custom files, with names but no details.  These "dummy entries" should allow me to and in new buildings and reactions later without regening, by editing the entries to add details.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 01:48:27 pm »

Also note that this thread has some typos, including wrong color and item definitions. So you shouldn't get it "literally".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 02:57:14 pm »

Yes, it did have some typos and the like. And yes, the bucket was meant to be the 'head' of the training dummy. xD

It's what happens when you're really tired and messing around with rawrs.

As for the training weapons or not..? Well, I honestly didn't even think of making it so that it had to be a training weapon.

Just a quick question though, where are the wrong color definitions?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »

I *think* I've heard having seperate files for them is fine, but it they probably need to start with building and reaction, respectively.  Most likely though, the problem is you need to regen the world.

I put the texts in the "reaction_other.txt" and "building_custom.txt", and it worked...
I don't know if it has to be in a "reaction_XXX" and "building_XXX", but as it, it works fine (at least, I can build the workshop from the menu, didn't try yet).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

[COLOR:0:7:0:1] should be  [COLOR:0:1:7:0:1]

reagent should be [REAGENT:A:1:WEAPON:WEAPON_AXE_TRAINING:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]

etc.

Then it works :).

I've made it to use 2 tiles though, one for a dwarf, another for a dummy.

It looks weird to see the dwarf on the same tile as the dummy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 03:49:46 pm »

Ah! Yes, quite right, quite right. And I can see how the reagent works. I just didn't think about doing that when I made the post. Otherwise, it looks good. Heh. Thanks.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 10:06:42 pm »

Yes, it did have some typos and the like. And yes, the bucket was meant to be the 'head' of the training dummy. xD

It's what happens when you're really tired and messing around with rawrs.
You just made my day.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 07:42:45 am »

[COLOR:0:7:0:1] should be  [COLOR:0:1:7:0:1]

reagent should be [REAGENT:A:1:WEAPON:WEAPON_AXE_TRAINING:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]

etc.

Then it works :).

I've made it to use 2 tiles though, one for a dwarf, another for a dummy.

It looks weird to see the dwarf on the same tile as the dummy.

Any chance you could post the code you ended up using?  I'm having trouble getting the dwarves to build it and sbe able to move afterwards (seems like they building it on an obstructed tile), and I don't understand the tile syntax well enough to fix it.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 08:27:50 am »

Most buildings break pathing. Go find a door and set it to be forbidden, unpause, then set it to be used again. Should allow your dwarf to move again.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.
Pages: 1 [2] 3