Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I downgrade to 40d?  (Read 993 times)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should I downgrade to 40d?
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:59:37 pm »

So I've played a bit of 31.03 but never really before that - a friend convinced me that "now would be the time to start."

Maybe.  I've had a lot of fun with it (and a bit of Fun) but some of the Fun seems less fun and more irritating ... things like unkillable megabeasts.  As well, there are no nobles except the baron that promotes from within.  Basically, it feels like I'm missing most of the game.

Are the changes severe enough that it will be unpleasant to downgrade?  Or will I be able to play a more complete game?

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I downgrade to 40d?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »

The main things 40d does not have that the new versions does is the expansive underground forgotten beasts. I would say it would probably be a good idea to downgrade if you are just getting started.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:37 pm »

Though it will not be as fun or fun as 31. Sadly.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:13:55 pm »

currently I would recommend starting with 40d (although we'll have to see how many of the new bugs are fixed with the upcoming release of 31.04). it's by and large much more functional than 31 and is pretty much documented/understood from top to bottom so you can get the full experience with help from the wiki/forums and not be left wondering 'is this a bug or am i doing something wrong' the way you kinda have to now with 31

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:56:25 pm »

Definitely.
While DF 40d doesn´t have many of the goodies that 0.31 possesses it is definitely better for beginners to learn stuff.

It is already well covered by the DF Wki, and has less bugs, as others already mentioned,
and concerning military things it isn´t as difficult as 0.31.

In 0.31 the marksdwarves bug forces you to go melee
(even if you get your  marksdwarves to work in 0.31,
the wounds their arrows/bolts cause to their enemies are usually minimal...it takes lots of arrows/bolts to down even a single goblin.
Even ballistae are underpowered in 0.31...in 40d a single ballista bolt could wound/kill several goblins at once...in 0.31 it might glance off the silk clothing of the first goblin it hits :D )

And due to the new material system melee in 0.31 is also much more deadly than in previous versions.
In previous versions you could often survive an ambush by a few goblin melee fighters even with no marksdwarves just by assigning a  lot of dwarves and ordering them to swarm the goblins.
In 0.31 however dwarves without strong metal armor and adequate weapons are dead meat against goblins with metal armor and weapons and even a squad of just 5 pike goblins can mean the death of a fortress of 30-50 dwarves, if the fortress isn´t already well prepared (with a standing military that is adequately armed/armored and/or adequate trap coverage) .

So, yes, for learning DF basics better try 40d
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:59:26 pm by Proteus »

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:07:40 pm »

I was more thinking about things like ... nobles?  I feel like I'm pretty good at 31.03 and I've kind of ... done all that the glitches allow?  But I can't do things like economy or deal with nobles or get a king or whatever.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:36:02 am »

Hi!

That would be a weird reason.
Thus far, I have not heard of any problems concerning the king or the major nobles in the new version (although some people seem to have delays with getting the baron).

Deathworks

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 01:25:13 am »

Well the economy is broken in general.  Its like a communist parody of capitalism, everyone is either a legendary NounVerber that claims items from your stockpile at will or a broke hauler that isn't allowed to sleep in all the legendary bedrooms lying around because they are a broke hauler.

If you are having trouble getting nobles even when you meet the requirements:
1) do a wide variety of stuff.  Process some gems, pound out some stonecrafts and make some socks
2) dig!  Migrants are more likely to show up the more space you dig out. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 02:31:15 am »

Unkillable megabeasts are not there in 40d, and nobles work 'correctly' (although a lot of people disable the economy in the init file).

But as others have said: there are no caverns, and both military and healthcare are much simpler.

I'm still playing 40d, but it's mainly because of the military bugs and the bug where if your expedition leader dies you can't replace him (which breaks the other nobles, too).

If you're happy with the fort you have in 0.31.03 then stick with it: barons, etc. don't really do anything.

It may just be that you're not fulfilling the requirements for a baron to come?
As well as having over 80 dwarves and 10 000 exported wealth...
You also need to do a variety of different jobs in the previous year (and have the caravan survive) to trigger the baron. 4 of the following: 25 crafting jobs, 25 metal-related jobs, 25 wood-related jobs, 10 gem jobs, 25 stone jobs, 25 food jobs. That shouldn't be a problem if you are just doing a few things, but if your fort is completely directed toward one activity or another, it won't qualify. - Toady One

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:45 am »

Well I have had a baron before, just no other nobles, of which there are many(?).  But my exported wealth is stuck - no matter how much I trade away or offer to the dwarves, it doesn't go up, even when the caravan survives.  The mayors stay mayors bug is incredibly irritating and I don't think it's even on Toady's radar; same with dead nobles bug.

But has anyone gotten any nobles besides the baron in 31.03?  I have yet to hear anyone who has.

thepet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:43:30 am »

I've gotten a King in 31.03.  It was really weird too... Like, my 3rd migration wave?  I had 40 dwarves and a King came.  I did have a ton of bituminous coal, iron ore, and flux.  So I was pumping out the Steel like I've never pumped it out before.

My latest fort is 110 dwarves.  I've created about 12 artifacts.  Survived 2 gigantic goblin sieges.  Built an enormous pump stack and have a magma pool on my work shop level, all powered by 11 waterwheels I've built using an artificial river I created at the cavern lake.

And all I have is a Mayor.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:07:39 am »

I'd suggest you try out 40d regardless for the sake of experiencing history. You seem like you want to experience all the features out so far, so best to make 1 successful fort in 40d to experience Death By Boredom (as well as how the old military and healthcare system worked, plus punting targets with a warhammer) and then come back to DF2010 to wrestle around with the new features/bugs. I'd say DF2010 is more fun (and Fun) to play with than 40d but you gotta experience 40d first to not have any 'lingering regrets'.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:49:58 am »

Personally, I keep them both installed. 40d to keep my old forts and megaprojects and comfort zone, and v31 because it's so expansive.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 11:46:11 am »

Yes.

40d's main problem is the lack of a burrows system. It also has far less features at embark sites, and won't let you dig nearly as deep. However, it's by far less buggy than v31, and as others have said, it has mountains of documentation.

I reverted to 40d myself after messing around with v31. I felt more like a beta tester than a player, and I already do that for First Strike... don't fancy doing it with DF too.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore