Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire Dwarfs in a world of Normal Dwarfs... (burrow question currently)  (Read 623 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon

Just as it says... I found out just recently in the fort I'm building that homeotherm AND fixed_temp do NOT require regen. I wanted a world where I'd be able to have some way of mining and not have to worry about the aquifer spelling doom to my miners or I could do fancy things to a major river... I have found my solution! Through some rather annoying testing.

I started the game of normal dwarfs and try as I might the normal dwarfs and came upon a particular aquifer that was presenting me problems. I found a solution, thanks for a rather twist of words of someones posts. I got three waves of normal, nonfire dwarfs. Then I started wanting to do the aquifer work, but I kept killing normal dwarfs. So I added the fixed temp and changed the homeotherm and was disappointed that my dwarfs didn't readily become fire gods of death and mayhem. However I decided to wait... I waited 2 seasons before I finally had another wave show up. I was like woooo and then saw there was no fire, but the game was paused... Problem quickly became remedied as fire consumed all foliage bearing hillsides as the fire dwarfs ran into my predesignated location where most flammable materials were safe. I lost a few pets in the process... they burst into flame and there wasn't much I could do.

Anyways, I'm now trying to segregate the dwarfs. Normal vs Fire. Now from my very little work with burrows, I'm doing a lot of guess work...

A burrow more or less acts like a meeting zone of sorts. Dwarfs set to say stay in the fire dwarf burrow would only stay in that particular burrow. You can place a meeting zone within said burrow, but (this is an important question) Without the other dwarfs being burrow set would they go to the burrow meeting zone as well, even if I had another meeting zone outside of the burrow? Would the other dwarfs enter the burrow they aren't supposed to enter by my standards.? (I don't remember how to say dwarfs stay indoors or any of that with the new version. Can dwarfs travel outside of a designated burrow or are they restrained to remain in said burrow?

I know this is more of a general game play series of questions at the moment, but it is very mod oriented (I have a ton of mods running currently.) and this is a life and death situation for all things living potentially.

Side question... Can a dwarf be so hot that it causes lava to steam and evaporate like water?

Any useful input on any section is greatly helpful, if you don't know, but are willing to help me figure it out, I'd appreciate that too. (two are better than one)

I'll probably have some more questions, but mostly it's burrow oriented stuff at the time being, any pertinent information that you could be inclined to include that may be helpful would also be nice.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right now dwarves will only stay at the burrows you restrict them to, if any at all.  The other dwarves will go to your burrow if you set a meeting zone there.  Theres no indoor/outdoor setting this version, but an alerts system to restrict them to specific burrows.  Dwarves wont even go out of the burrow to haul anything into it.

Your best bet is to set a large "This is your part" burrow for fire dorfs, and then another "anywhere they dont go" burrow for the other dorfs.

As for your side question: No, you cant boil magma away
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon

Well boiling magma was worth a shot, thanks for the info.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

magma steam... not that would be cool..  :o
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.