Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 0.31.02 The blood, it wont stop.  (Read 2609 times)

killerbees1218

• Bay Watcher
  • Sting like a bee, fly like a... How'd it go again?
    • View Profile
0.31.02 The blood, it wont stop.
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:48:38 pm »

So I've been having fun playing the new 0.31.02 of Dwarf Fortress, havnt even touched the Dwarf Fortress mode itself, been playing alot of Adventure mode, well I decided to create an elven psycho path, was a spearmen with heavy armor and a decent shield, went around slaughtering various humans and wild beasts, always attacking at night time, to slaughter my victims while sleeping, well it just so happens there was an aware guardsmen on duty this fortnight, armed with a crossbow, right when I exit a hovel after killing the husband and wife, I was shot in the gut with a bolt piercing through my finely crafted armor, since I couldn't see who or where it came from in the darkness I fled bleeding all the while. I manage to barely get away, dodging several other attempts at shooting me and hid behind a tree down at the end of a hill. I set my back against the tree and try to figure out a way to stop the bleeding, I try to quick travel with -T- but I am told that I must stop bleeding before I can travel.. SO I sit, and wait and try various ideas like taking clothes off trying to wrap wound, or trying diffrent ideas but to no success, I bled until I became pale and passed out , after I awoke I finally I decided to take out the bolt, shortly after, I died.

How to stop the bleeding?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:51:08 pm by killerbees1218 »
Death, is only the beginning.

Honalululand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31.02 The blood, it wont stop.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:13:44 pm »

Just gotta let it flow.
Alternatively, jump off of a skyscraper, into a carp infested river, a magma pit, or into the local tavern full of angry people with pointy sticks.
Don't think anything but time or death can stop you bleeding out everything.
Not in 0.31.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »

I noticed blood is a bit more ... populous.  During a fort mode one of the rangers killed a deer right outside my main gate and the dwarfs trekking in and out would carry blood with them (on their feet I assume)

It wasn't long before my front entrance looked like a bloodbath had occurred.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:33:08 am »

blood got all over the place more then normal in my first goblin attack as well. seeing as i did not understand the new squad system i got pretty hammered, they were all bowgoblins.

in adventure mode, the new compat reports describe blood spraying everywhere whenever you hit an artery, and in the description page, a hydras 3rd severed neck was described to be "spraying (lengthy name of hydra)'s hydra blood."

i also found myself able to pick up the said hydra's blood and put it my backpack, and then take it out later and drink it.

truly armok must be pleased.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:36:21 am »

I believe people have found that you can wrap cloth around wounds. Keep an eye out for the stuff.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:22:08 am »

new report - i have been able to heal bleading wounds after pulling out crossbow bolts through travelling, and have been able to travel-heal flashing mortal wounds to my heart delt by human hammernen (with silver mauls. seriously, everyone in my world has silver weapons. silver arrows, axes, swords.. i even started with them, its mental)

this is using the latest update toady put out, with the gfx pack from mike mayday. if the new minor update does not contain some kind of fix here, then it just might possibly be infections. people dont seem to be able to heal those in adventure mode at all... anyone got any new experimental data to add? im still collecting mine.

also, while cloth can be wrapped around wounds, the consensus has been it does not seem to stop bleeding or help much, but keep trying. we dont know everything about health in this release yet, specially in adventure mode.

EDIT: after a rather epic fight, a smashed thumb, which shows up as a compound fracture in the health screen, has not healed wheras multiple other stuff, including a bleeding leg from a bronze bolt, has. so... serious wounds normaly needing treatment dont heal? im guessing a bone sticking out of a thumb would require setting before it could get better.

EDIT EDIT: so travelling a lot more and sleeping in towns, the compound fractures and another bolt wound in my foot have healed to a point, then show as infected and will heal no further. i found a human surgeon and pursued every conversation option, but there is nothing do do there. bleeding wounds still seem to heal when i travel, although i have healed a lot of them without travelling. so perhaps really bad injuries, comparable to compoud fracture, will not heal with travel...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:38:41 am by Cheshire Cat »

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:54 am »

Hammermen rarely do more then a bruise to a internal organ I've noticed, which does mess up your day, but isn't a big deal sans lungs, where people seem to suffocate I only seen one-two deaths from heart bruising, but a metric ton from suffocation via lung damage. Could be a part of the new combat mechanics, but removing arms/legs seems to kill creatures faster now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:55:10 am »

I ran into this today. I was slaughtering a Dark Elven Tower when I got shot in the toe, I yanked it out and passed it off as a flesh wound. Well it wouldn't stop bleeding so I went to sleep in a corner hoping it would stop. Died halfway into the sleeping thing... Its really wierd considering you can lop someones limb off and they will stop bleeding before they die most of the time.I think its gotta be some sorta a bug with arrow wounds (or when they get lodged in the wound).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:26:06 am by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 06:18:28 pm »

Hammermen rarely do more then a bruise to a internal organ I've noticed, which does mess up your day, but isn't a big deal sans lungs, where people seem to suffocate I only seen one-two deaths from heart bruising, but a metric ton from suffocation via lung damage. Could be a part of the new combat mechanics, but removing arms/legs seems to kill creatures faster now.

Whats the message from death via a bruised heart?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:36:21 pm »

You have been struck down.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 10:35:38 am »

You have been struck down.

BY CARDIAC ARREST, YEAH!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.