Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Toady Interview, and What's So Special About Herman?  (Read 3872 times)

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady Interview, and What's So Special About Herman?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 02:03:55 am »

I'm guessing nobody here has ever played this?
Reminds me of this.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 03:49:27 am »

The hostile reaction here seems somewhat thoughtless ... It's not as if anyone took the time to play this guy's game before consigning it to the refuse pile ... consider the number of people who would also dismiss DF as trash based on a few screenshots.

Before I wrote Herman off based on nothing more than a video I asked around.

A game as innovative as DF would have had at least a couple of defenders.  Herman was unanimously voted a steaming pile of shit -- and by gamers I respect for their taste in games, the fans of DF.

Thoughtless?  I believe I've demonstrated a great deal of thought went into my hostile reaction!   8)

Even you haven't really defended the game, only the developer ... from comparison to the infamous Derek Smart (poor guy).  Isn't that being a little harsh to Derek Smart?  ;)
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 07:54:10 am »

The hostile reaction here seems somewhat thoughtless ... It's not as if anyone took the time to play this guy's game before consigning it to the refuse pile ... consider the number of people who would also dismiss DF as trash based on a few screenshots.

Before I wrote Herman off based on nothing more than a video I asked around.

A game as innovative as DF would have had at least a couple of defenders.  Herman was unanimously voted a steaming pile of shit -- and by gamers I respect for their taste in games, the fans of DF.

Unanimous votes from a single source tend to give off the odour of groupthink - you'd pretty much lynched the guy by the end of the first page. Had anyone actually played it?
  I can't defend the game as I've not played it, and I'm not really a big fan of platformers. From the video, it doesn't look very good, but I would suspend judgement since indie games, DF included, tend to not frontload their most appealing features.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:49 am »

Groupthink. What is it with newspeak today? I say this because I did this
Newthinkers bellyfeel newnet.
yesterday evening and now it's happened twice more.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 11:23:11 am »

The hostile reaction here seems somewhat thoughtless, especially on the forum of another indie game developer (a hint of tribalism, perhaps?). It's not as if anyone took the time to play this guy's game before consigning it to the refuse pile - consider the number of people who would also dismiss DF as trash based on a few screenshots.

You are right, in a way.  Here are barriers for many B12ers. 
(Hell, most of my PC gaming interests/purchases come from B12 'recommendation'.)

It is not free.
Its on the XBox, not the PC.
Reviews are pretty much in line: Its a burnt pile of carp on a plate.
There are no 'it is worth the money despite the bashing' reviews from any B12 players.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 11:54:09 pm »

Unanimous votes from a single source tend to give off the odour of groupthink ... indie games, DF included, tend to not frontload their most appealing features.

You have a point.

I don't think I'd volunteer to play it, but you have a point.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 01:29:25 am »

Amateur reviewer at your service! If I had the M$, I would play it and provide a review. As I do not, I will not.

I generally like to stay away from mainstream and play all those "weird" games, mainly because mainstream likes to be boring... If anyone wants to donate M$ I will buy and play this "Herman" thing. I will play it... Then I will play it more... I will give you a concise review based on first hand experience.

To further preface this, I have not read anything aside from the interview and, if I am going to be reviewing it this game, I will forgo any look at the reviews.

Zombie McBraintaster has become a Reviewer.
Zombie McBraintaster, Reviewer cancels Review: Needs game.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »

Zombie McBraintaster has become a Reviewer.
Zombie McBraintaster, Reviewer cancels Review: Needs game.
*Zangi declines to fund this review. 

It defeats the purpose; Not paying for a product considered to be of questionable quality.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 03:11:07 pm »

Ehh, I never expected anyone to fund it. I write reviews about things anyway. If I ever get $5 to spare, or if anyone would like to fund my reviewing brain, then I would be glad to do it. If not, then oh well too bad so sad. I'll call the waahmbulance if that happens. ;)

Considering that I'm critical of games as it is, I wonder how popular a thread about me reviewing stuff would end up. Let's find out!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 06:04:20 am »

If I wrote a game and paid you would you give it a positive review?

Oh, wait, you'd have to be a professional reviewer to do that.

*ba-dum* *chick*

These guys always give straight reviews:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/1/20/

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2010, 07:06:57 am »

So since we're on the topic of lunatic game developers, I think I'll take this moment to promote Cleveland Mark Blakemore.  In my opinion he's deserves Smart's title as most insane jackass game developer.  I mean, he's even somewhat famous.  He was caricatured in JA2.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 2 [3]