Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Toady Interview, and What's So Special About Herman?  (Read 3863 times)

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady Interview, and What's So Special About Herman?
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:07:56 pm »

I read the Toady interview on Negative Gamer and there was this link to another indie game developer who made a game called "Herman".

The magazine (and especially the developer) hyped it as "new" and "different" and "not like anything you've seen before" but in the videos it looked like a typical side-scrolling platform shooter, the sort of game that hasn't been "new", "different', or "unique" since about 2 months after the release of the Commodore 64.

Am I missing something?

The interview with Toady was totally different.  He was all like, "Consider every option and listen to what people tell you, but in the end do your own thing," very laid back and cool.  And Dwarf Fortress really is "unique" and "different" and "unlike anything you've seen before", everything the developer of "Herman" claimed about his game, but I guess you don't need a bunch of self-congratulatory hype when Dwarf Fortress so clearly speaks for itself.

But ... maybe I'm missing something, and I hate to pass judgment on something I've never played, so ... am I wrong?  (I'm not going to download and play it just to confirm that it's terrible.  That would take time away from Dwarf Fortress ...)
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Pathos

Re: Toady Interview, and What's So Special About Herman?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:43:11 am »

Link?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:47:41 am »

Surely this review would have pointed out what made it unique and different, right? What was unique and different about it?

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:58:49 pm »

Oops, here's the link:

http://negativegamer.com/2010/03/24/%e2%80%9ci-don%e2%80%99t-have-the-ability-to-do-anything-normal-in-life-%e2%80%9d-a-final-interview-with-a-retiring-indie-game-developer/

As far as I can tell he thinks the artwork, music, and storyline make his game unique.

Did I mention it's a scrolling platform shooter?  Commander Keen, a scrolling platformer that predates the amazingly super-unique "Herman" by, what, 15 years(?), had unique artwork and storyline, too, but nobody would call it "ZOMG totally different!" even 15 years ago.

But some of the people who made that game went on to make DOOM, which truly was unique.

Meanwhile, back in Hermanville, adding another wolf to the Two Wolf Moon t-shirt to make a Three Wolf Moon t-shirt doesn't make you an artistic genius on the cutting edge where no one understands the sweet awesomeness of your artistic talent.

But I have zero artistic talent, so maybe in my blindness to the developer's sublime if subtle genius I'm missing something here?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 01:10:07 pm »

Xbox Live Indie game Herman

Thars yer problem.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:32:04 pm »

I was all set to post something about how indy devs should be allowed to talk up their games as much as they want, because theyve gotta get it known somehow and whatnot...

But then i read the article and the guy comes off like an arrogant ass. He admits his trial level is crappy and badly made, then complains people are rating the game down based on it, then wonders aloud if its someone organising a flash mob to vote down his game just to spite him  ::). He also seems baffled that some people dont find his artwork and sound/music stuff as completely world-changingly awesome as he does.

Fair doos to the guy though, he obviously put alot into his game, and it means alot to him. Starting from scratch and getting a game on the 360 indie games thing is an awesome thing. But he seems unable to take any citicism about his work, which is a terrible state of mind to be in when throwing something like this out there to such a huge audience.

Pathos

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 02:20:59 pm »

Darkfall players, so outraged they had to review it twice!

But, hey, the score of the game doubled! From 2 to 4.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:04:05 pm »

To me, it was like a playing a cartoon, with a killer story and totally bitchin’ music, and I thought it was fun as hell.  I send it to reviewers, and some people acted like I had sent them a turd on a plate. Amazing.

I think it’s beyond a gyp that so many people have rated my game either based on the crappy two minute trial level, or possibly on nothing more than their dislike of something they read about the game.

I’m sad that more people don’t play it on 3 and 4, because I think it makes a world of difference. I think the game is boring on 1 and 2.

To reiterate.  Amazing
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Pathos

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 04:06:10 pm »

I do feel sort of sorry for the guy, despite his massive dickishness. He presumably spent a lot of time on an absolutely terrible game and is still adamant in his belief it's amazing.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:59 am »

REgardles of the Dickishness of him.

Is this an ACTUAL screenshot from the game?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because that's straight out of Braid.

Like, Exactly the same as the level transitions. Only the Art is different.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 12:22:43 pm »

And fugly.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:40:13 pm »

Doesn't help that the first thing you see, when opening that page, is a guy wearing what looks like a special helmet... in what looks like boxers.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »

Is this an ACTUAL screenshot from the game?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because that's straight out of Braid.

Like, Exactly the same as the level transitions. Only the Art is different.
It's called a parody.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 02:16:20 pm »

Yeah, this guy is full of himself and I can't help but dislike him.

I guess just as a reference, any developer who gushes about his game and can't understand why people don't like it, did not make a good game and needs to learn from his mistakes.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »

an absolutely terrible game and is still adamant in his belief it's amazing.

Derek Smart suddenly seems humble and brilliant.
Pages: [1] 2 3