Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: God help me, I was only 19  (Read 4446 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: God help me, I was only 19
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 11:50:57 pm »

I want to do the Guerilla thing. I wanna dress up in furs, and have freaky bits tied to my combat helmet (liek a Samurai!) and run in with combat knives and fuck up everyone.
Maybe, half a month down the track, I'll run into a camp, and people will start running out the other side yelling 'BUNYIP BUNYIP!'

The high point of my life.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2010, 11:08:41 am »

Would I ever fight in a war? Yes.

On one condition however: that the war in question be a CIVIL war, where the southern United States tries to separate from the north... again!

Now, I'm not sure if Obama would measure up to ol' Lincoln, but I would feel obligated to take up arms to keep the union whole. Why, you might ask? Because both Aqizzar and Janet will be among the southern ranks, and I'm sorry to say that the odds will be stacked against us Northerners considering that.

We'll need all the help we can get, and so, saying that, I'm preemptively conscripting Toony. Toonster, I know for a FACT that you're from Canada or Maine or Rhode Island or something, and thus are obligated to fight by my side in the American Civil War 2. Jakkarra, you might be British if I remember correctly, so take a catamaran, go across the Atlantic and head up the Mississippi. You probably won't survive the actual combat, but it might distract Aqizzar long enough to deal a decisive blow in a dramatic, slow-mo fashion; preferably with an American flag, just like Mel Gibson in "The Patriot". That was such a good movie.

Don't think it won't happen people, we have to be prepared for everything! No offense Janet/Aqizzar, but in situations like that, it's friend against friend and brother against brother, there's no room for cowardice. You understand.

I'd be raising the Battle Flag and heading to Richmond for my commission, myself. Not, mind you, because I have any ounce of loyalty to the sort of ass-backwards dystopia that "South will rise again!" rednecks imagine, wherein they've established Jesusland and purged the population of folks whose skin tone isn't on the light side of peach. But rather because I'm fiercely loyal to my home state of North Carolina. Actually, whichever side they landed on, I'd be on that side. Which is kinda how it worked for most folks in the South the first time around. They weren't fighting for whatever-the-hell-the-South-was-fighting-for, but rather just because they didn't want "them" coming around and taking their farm.

Fratricidal warfare aside, I'd serve in a general draft situation although I'd move like hell to get into OCS and get me an officer billet. If it weren't for a bum ticker, I'd already have served in uniform. My father was a 32-year career Naval officer, and my family has a long, long tradition of military service, going back to at least the Jacobite rebellion.

That said, I don't romanticize military service, but I don't fear or despise it either. It's an honorable profession, and in my experience, veteran soldiers are the *last* ones to want to go to war. My half-brother is on his 3rd tour in Iraq right now, and believe me...he's ready for peace. Especially since he'll probably wind in Afghanistan if we're still there in 2011.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »

Why shouldn't you join the army? Simple.

You won't get to play the next Dwarf Fortress release to your heart's content, for 36 hours straight on that one night when you had no plans.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2010, 05:10:20 pm »

If I were ever drafted, I would be court marshalled for either desertion or cowardice. Assuming I didn't already get shot. As the battle starts, I find a nice little hole that seems out of the way of the fighting. I sit and wait till the shooting stops and then sit and wait some more to see which side won.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2010, 12:05:48 am »

The Navy didn't want me for medical reasons.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2010, 12:18:24 am »

No. I'm a pussy.
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2010, 12:37:03 am »

I don't have much problem with killing enemies....but all the damn running..meh.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2010, 12:51:02 am »

I would fight. However, if I was likely to be drafted, I'd probably sign up as an officer.

This is, of course, coming from someone who is likely to join the reserves, or possibly the regulars, when he's older.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2010, 03:25:22 am »

Can I have power armor and a power fist?  They haven't invented that yet?  Eh, put me on a boat, I'll learn to screw in wrenches with my bolt.

Power armor does too exist. Or its exoskellington does. It lacks a battery currently that can last as long as the military needs. If I recall the last thing I read/saw on it. A personal was lifting 100lbs, and stopped because he got bored. So if 100lbs is trival then a power punch is possible.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »

I would probably die by forgetting that bullets pierce plate mail.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »

I've always been interested in joining the army but i cant get off of my arse and actually do it.
I am a coward but i think i would be a good fighter. Sounds contradictory, right?
If a fight were to break out in a pub with me vs some guy, the guy would want to hurt me. I would shit myself. In the army, the enemy would want to hurt the soldier that just so happens to be me. In war, its nothing personal.

This is of course from my armchair opinion. Maybe i would freeze up in combat. Who knows,

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2010, 04:57:46 pm »

I would probably die by forgetting that bullets pierce plate mail.
oh they came up with a solution for people that forget about that.Not exactly light weight.Mobility versus protection,always a trade-off somewhere.

(in case someone has no concept of the power of a .30-06 ap,it will go through an inch of mild steel,the guy behind it,and the next guy,and the next guy,so on so forth.making 1/2" thick armor that can withstand at least six consecutive shots is impressive,in my opinion.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]