Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: God help me, I was only 19  (Read 4447 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: God help me, I was only 19
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:33 am »

Well yeah, that's to be expected, really. It's another interesting question, because I don't know if I'd do that either, but I might.

The 'Tomorrow' Series were pretty good, on a similar note.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:35 am »

Under no circumstances, I wouldn't join army no matter what.

I already see what war and battles can do to people and those who are helpless (even if it's done for 'the good').

But if other country would attack mine... well, it's my duty to defend my home.

Voluntarily - NO.

In self-defense - Yes.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 05:25:36 am »

I would do everything I could to get out of it. If I somehow found myself in a combat situation I would, assuming my enemy will abide by the laws of war, throw down my weapon and surrender as soon as I get the chance and happily live out the rest of the war in a PoW camp.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 05:46:48 am »

First 'nam protest song I heard was 'Feel like I'm fixin' to die' It's a funny one. I'd like it if it weren't for all of the wierdo hippies in the audience. Bloody sixties.

To be honest, when I first heard 'I was only nineteen', I thought it was a song about PNG. Even though there's so, so many references. I feel stupid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:56:55 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 06:00:59 am »

As some may remember, I am planning on joining the army, if certain things work out for me. I would go and fight for my country, but only because I wanted to. If I was drafted, whether I'd try to get out of it or not would depend on the situation of our country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:44 am »

If I'm honest... I wouldn't go to the frontlines unless forced.  And even then I'd try to keep my head down as much as possible.  I detest pretty much everything there is about being a soldier (constant danger, unquestionable orders, killing other people...) so I'd try to avoid it.  I might do something else for the war effort if necessary, though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 06:53:31 am »

"Mom, Dad, I'm joining the military."
 "OH my god. Are you Sure about this?"
 "Yup. This is something I have to do. I need this."
 *Sigh*"Alright son, if this is what you want to do. There isn't much we can do to stop you. What branch will you be in?"

"The Coast Guard."

"..."

*Laughter breaks out*

But yeah, I would need a good reason to fight a war. I'm too empathetic to every try to hurt another human being, no matter how black and white the situation. Self defense and all that good stuff of defending the weak would get me to fight, but this depends on how much I would help such a cause. If I was part of a small but technologically advanced country that decided to stop the child soldier armies of Africa, and very few people enlisted, I probably would join the military. Crap needs to get done.

I dunno if my mind would survive boot camp. I'm already stuck under an odd situation with y dad that I gave up years ago due to futility. To chose to enter such a situation again would break me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 07:26:21 am »

... *is female*

In more seriousness, I wouldn't be allowed in due to rampant crazy.  After that, there's no way they'd take me for front lines when they could shove me into, say, medic or engineering work.  I'm fine with either (from my safe warm room at 5:30 in the morning), but there's no way in hell I could run around killing people for a living.

I'd do crypto, though.  I have no qualms about ruining someone else's plans to kill a lot of people.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 08:33:41 am »

I'd do crypto, though.  I have no qualms about ruining someone else's plans to kill a lot of people.
What about ruining other people plans to save a lot of people from being killed by your people?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 10:51:44 am »

Can I have power armor and a power fist?  They haven't invented that yet?  Eh, put me on a boat, I'll learn to screw in wrenches with my bolt.

Oh, it's the other way around  The bolts get screwed in?  Jeez, uh.  I dunno...  Give me a gun, I'm pretty sure I know how to use that.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 01:19:49 pm »

What about ruining other people plans to save a lot of people from being killed by your people?

But... but... it has mathematics in it!  It must be friendly.

In more seriousness, I'm mostly saying "if I ended up in the military, I probably wouldn't feel too bad about doing crypto (relative to all the other crap I could end up doing)."  Mathematics, in and of itself, is one of those nasty things that we like to think of as a pure discipline but ends up being readily applicable to machines of war in entirely too many ways.

*sigh*

I guess I could see trying to build some kind of Riemann-hypothesis-safe crypto so that the solution to that could actually be released if it were solved (even as a civilian), but that's an entirely different story.  That starts running into "how many human lives is a theorem worth to you," which is... not a question I'm comfortable answering.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 01:25:04 pm »

I'm a pacifist so no

But much more likely I wouldn't end up on the front lines I'd be fighting wildfires or some shit since I'd be a CO
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 01:34:03 pm »

I would do everything I could to get out of it. If I somehow found myself in a combat situation I would, assuming my enemy will abide by the laws of war, throw down my weapon and surrender as soon as I get the chance and happily live out the rest of the war in a PoW camp.

Thats a pretty... optimistic view of being a PoW... >.>

As for me... getting drafted.... I guess I'm more likely to go into survival mode.  My personal ethical and moral standards are already pretty low by... well... other people standards...  so really... who knows how far I'd go. 
If I would just be a grunt and follow orders or someone who rises(or lowers himself) to the situation and proactively do things to ensure his own survival.

But yea, I'd stick it out... if I couldn't avoid the draft that is...

@Not-killing and not enabling killing:
Medic?  Well, it kind of balances out... in some weird way.  However you want to justify it to others. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:11 pm »

... I'm kinda horrible like this, but I probably couldn't shoot someone face-to-face, however air force, demo squad, sniping, and tanks I feel I wouldn't have much problem with. artilliary and air-strikes, no because you always hit civilians too.  Then again, I don't think insurgents who are just faith-crazed, and trying to protect their homeland, I wouldn't join the army to fight against, but an open war like WWI and WWII I would join in as fast as i could be accepted.
Nom nom nom

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 01:38:18 pm »

Thats a pretty... optimistic view of being a PoW... >.>

Well by abide by the rules of warfare I meant not torturing PoW's etc.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6