Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reveal...  (Read 1489 times)

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 06:51:00 am »

I hate to poo poo an idea with a simple suggestion... but there is already a geologist in the game... it's called "you".  Metals and gems do have specific materials that they apear in more often than others so when you are picking a site pay close attention to the list of strata in the world map and know what is most likely found there.

After that, it is just simple strategy to prospect given strata for riches they may contain.

My prefered method if to make a large square tunnel pattern with parallel tunnels every 5 squares... or every three if you want to make sure you reveal everything.  This is a really quick way to find metal ores.

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

[ April 04, 2008: Message edited by: rkyeun ]

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

Dammit, wrong tab. I meant that to go in the extra hard thread where they were discussing weather.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

A geologist would  definitely be a nice idea.

Maybe it could be a profesion like the book-keeper for which you select a dwarf with the necessary talent and who needs to work in his own office to do his research.

The things he could tell you should depend on
1. the amount of map space you already uncovered (via exploratory tunnels) for the z-level he researches
2. The amount or work he puts into the z-level
3. his talent in geology

What he can tell you would be (from lower to higher accuracy):
1. What types of stone can be found within this z-level
2. What types of ore can be found within this z-level
3. What types of gems can be found within the z-level
4. The exact percentage of the various stone types within the z-level (with ores/gems unspecified)
5. The exact percentage of stone and ore types within the z-level (with gems unspecified)
6. The exact percentages of all stones, ores and gems within the z-level

(of coruse every higher accuracy would include the informations of the lower accuracies as well, so if you, for example had an accuracy of 4. and therefore would know the exact percentages of stone types, you would as well know, what ore and gems you can find here, but not their exact percentages)

For each Accuracy you should also have a certain percentage of mapspace already uncoveredby tunnels else you wouldn´t be able to attain this accuracy no matter how long your geologist would do his research.
For example for accuracy 1 it would suffice to have already 1 % of the z-lvel uncovered, while for accuracy 6 you might need 30%

[ April 04, 2008: Message edited by: Proteus ]

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
<STRONG>
</STRONG>

Again, already documented at this wiki page and all its sub-pages

quote:
<STRONG>
4. The exact percentage of the various stone types within the z-level (with ores/gems unspecified)
5. The exact percentage of stone and ore types within the z-level (with gems unspecified)
6. The exact percentages of all stones, ores and gems within the z-level
</STRONG>

Again, how could the geologist know that?

I don't mean to disrespect your ideas, but it just seems like a waste of valuable dev time, not to mention completely out of character for the game.

Like the OP says (sort of) this is for those that want the benefits of using reveal, but don't want to feel like a cheater.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Othob Rithol:
<STRONG>

Again, already documented at this wiki page and all its sub-pages.</STRONG>

Utterly irrelevant. External resources address insufficiencies in a game, and this sounds like something that is lacking in and in some way should be incorporated into the game. As it is, forcing ideologies or third-party solutions on players is elitist and a bigotic contrivience.

[ April 06, 2008: Message edited by: Mikademus ]

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 10:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>

Utterly irrelevant. External resources address insufficiencies in a game, and this sounds like something that is lacking in and in some way should be incorporated into the game. As it is, forcing ideologies or third-party solutions on players is elitist and a bigotic contrivience.

[ April 06, 2008: Message edited by: Mikademus ]</STRONG>

I do believe you could have refuted my argument without implying petty insults, but then again perhaps not.

[ April 06, 2008: Message edited by: Othob Rithol ]

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

My apologies. It is easier in writing than in speaking to go to rethoric extremes to make your point.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

All of this information could, and probably should, be documented in game. Perhaps when using 'k' to look at the stone there would be an option to see the stone's profile; what type of rock it is, what ores and gems are normally found inside it, and other geological information which may or may not be relevant.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

I could definitely see the logic in putting all that data into the internal help system.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

Especially since this data, unluck much of what's in the wiki, can be programatically determined from the data files (or at least, if it can't be, then it should be).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2]