Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux  (Read 1139 times)

grhm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Linux
« on: April 07, 2010, 01:35:14 pm »

Hi for everyone! I am new in this forum and this is my first post.

I am working in linux and looking a way to run Dwarf Fortress in this SO. There is a way? I Saw something about SDL but i belive it is outdated now.

Thx

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:41:11 pm »

The previous version was ported to SDL and was cross platform (see stickied post about 40d19).

This work has not been merged into the new release yet but is on the 'short list' of things to do, so expect it within a month* or so.

*this is a wild-ass-guess and should not be construed otherwise

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 01:44:22 pm »

For the old versions (40d#) there are linux builds available. For the new, buggy one, there is nothing yet - you'll have to settle for Wine or dual-boot if you want to test it out. The reason is that Toady is looking to squash bugs unrelated to cross-platform and graphics issues before moving on to putting those back in, and not having them makes it easier to narrow down the problems. Rest assured, though, DF will run in linux again sometime soon (I hope)

Edit: Ninja'd, damn x3
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:22:23 pm »

It runs under wine w/out any problems and with decent fps.

grhm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:40:23 pm »

Thanks for your answer.

Maybe it is a good day to learn how to use wine.  ;)

I hope it will be easy.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:56:24 pm »

I suck at computers (mac user here), but I figured out how to use wine without too much trouble.

Good luck!

grhm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:08:00 pm »

i am trying here but i got frozen screens very often.

any advice?

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:59:44 pm »

Wine is very easy to install if you're using Debian/Ubuntu, and it's just as easy to run DF through it ("chmod +x dwarfort.exe" once, then "wine dwarfort.exe" every subsequent time to play, but you can probably also do this through your Linux GUI).

@grhm: If you're using graphical tilesets, try a different one. If not, er, try going back to 40d for now and see how that fares.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 04:46:26 pm »

I used wine to run dwarf fortress under linux for a time, but the low fps due to making the new version run trought rebuffed me. The frozes may simply due to low fps moment. For me the were and were particulary bad in adventure mode. So yes, I used my dual boot for the first time in six month.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 05:23:00 pm »

For some weird reason I could never get the Linux port of .40dx to run on Ubuntu 9.04, but the new version functions pretty well in wine. Probably something settings related, which I'll investigate further once 0.31 is ported.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 06:51:01 pm »

I used wine to run dwarf fortress under linux for a time, but the low fps due to making the new version run trought rebuffed me. The frozes may simply due to low fps moment. For me the were and were particulary bad in adventure mode. So yes, I used my dual boot for the first time in six month.

I don't have so much problem with Fortress Mode, but adventure mode just freezes for me. Well, not really freeze, but it seems that the longer it runs, the longer it takes to respond to a key press. After a couple minutes playing it is practically unresponsive. It's really weird considering how well fortress mode works...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 01:49:04 am »

I used wine to run dwarf fortress under linux for a time, but the low fps due to making the new version run trought rebuffed me.
Try PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2 and DF Accelerator. I've got good fps in wine with it.