Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Sheep and Wool  (Read 1207 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Modding Sheep and Wool
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:32:07 pm »

Lets storm our brains here. How do we get sheep to produce spinnable, weavable wool? Extract? Milk? Custom workshop?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Sheep and Wool
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:41:52 pm »

If large creature "milking" can be done and has a cooldown - not being able to milk a cow ten times in a row - then I'd wager that to be the solution. Have the extract be inedible, called "wool", and converted into cloth-usable material via reaction.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:06:58 pm »

Milking a small population of cows repeatedly caused them to start cancelling for want of 'large milkable animal'. It resumes the following month or so, which seems about right for wool production. However I am not sure how the milk can be made wool, or if extracts won't kill the creature.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:27:20 pm »

A shot in the dark before I tried it, but making extract SOLID rather than LIQUID is pretty easy, so it may be doable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 06:37:12 am »

It might look something like this:
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:THREAD:THREAD_PLANT_TEMPLATE]]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen wool thread]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen wool thread]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:wool thread]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:wool thread]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:wool thread]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:wool thread]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MILK:20000]
but then again I could be horribly, HORRIBLY wrong... but feel free to do science to it yourself.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:07:23 pm »

Only problem with the milking scheme is the fact that you'd need to queue up a "milk animal" job in order to get wool.  This is weird both because the command and result don't really add up (immersion), and because you can't be sure if you're going to get a pile of sheep wool or a barrel of horse milk (gameplay).

It would also be nice if wool needed to go through the loom first before getting turned into thread, but that's a minor issue, and may be more complicated than it's worth...

Now, if only there were some way to properly use creatures in a custom reaction...  You could add a real "shear wool" job to the farmer's workshop instead of trying to tie it in with milking (that's another thing, you may end up with the wool getting shoved into barrels).  this would also make it possible to both shear and milk sheep, and who would want to pass up on that delicious sheep cheese?

Unfortunately, I don't think the custom reactions are fleshed out enough to have animal-related reactions, and even if they do I don't think there's a way to assign some sort of "wool countdown" on already-sheared sheep.

But, of course, this is all just blabbering.  If you can get the milking to work, that'd be pretty awesome.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:03:42 pm »

its pretty easy to make seperate barns for each type of animal if immersion is what you're worried about, because sheep and cows would not be in the same area normally, although I cant be certain if horses would be in with sheep, but I know for a fact they can be in with cows and donkeys.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:58:17 pm »

My understanding, though I haven't done it myself, is that milking requires the milked substance to go into a barrel/bucket. However, with that knowledge, I have given this idea some thought.

What I came up with works like this. You "milk" the sheep, this gives you a bucket full of fleece. You then use the custom workshop, and reaction, that you've made to turn the bucket of fleece into a bucketless fleece. At which point it enters the standard cloth chain, if possible. If not, then you'll need a set of custom reactions to produce the cloth, and maybe even the clothing. (Though, if that's the case, I think it'd be better to scrap the idea for now)

The problems I see with it are; it breaks immersion (milking to get wool), and the custom reaction will likely create an item with no quality modifier (so you want to get it into the normal chain as quickly as possible).

The advantages: you can actually make wool (even if it's through a round-a-bout method), and you could still allow sheep's milk to produce cheese (though it'd probably be one or the other, unless you only sheer rams... but that's a lot creepy).

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:28:25 pm »

Milk Sheep > Bucket + Sheep + Farmer's Workshop = bucket of fleece
Comb Fleece > Bucket of fleece + Shepherd's Workshop =  wool thread + bucket
Weave plant fiber into thread > wool thread + loom = wool cloth

This is the formula I'd like to see performed, but at the moment I'm hung up with my sheep being milked into buckets of 'sheep n/a'. Kinda scary. I've royally fouled up my RAWs working on this too, not being a terribly organized person.

I'm not too concerned about immersion so long as my sheep make wool, so don't trouble yourself with the word 'milk'.