Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Barrels of Blood  (Read 2309 times)

RaptorJedi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Barrels of Blood
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:21:53 pm »

I traded with the humans for two empty barrels when they came, and they were not removed from my trade depot. I tore the depot down in hopes that the dwarves would gather up the barrels and move them to storage. That didn't work, neither did dumping them, forbidding and unforbidding or placing a storage where they are. I checked inside the barrels, and both of them are full of unadvertised frozen animal blood(the barrels themselves say <ashen barrel> and <birchen barrel> and said that in the trade depot as well when I bought them, they say nothing about blood being in them). I can't get my dwarves to interact with these barrels in any way, not even to dump out the frozen blood. The blood being frozen is to be expected, since I live in a place that freezes.

Edit: I was able to move the barrels BACK to the depot when dwarf traders came, and the dwarves happily accepted the barrels of frozen blood in exchange for raw glass.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:29:55 pm by RaptorJedi »

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Barrels of Blood
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:28:30 pm »

In my humble opinion, barrels of blood is a feature.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:22:22 am »

indeed, you never know when you may suddenly need 30 pints of raccoon blood -somebody try burning such a barrel to see the effect on its contents.
if it spills the blood everywhere then we may have a cheaper alternative to goblins for painting.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:30:19 pm »

I got an caravane from the mountainhomes and they brought at least one barrel of rat blood.
It says rat blood barrel in the trainding screen and the content is rat blood [10].
I am not sure why i should buy this, but it seems like a feature to me.
Than the bug would be, that it is not correctly discribed in the traiding screen, if it becomes frozen.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:39:50 pm »

Yeah, the bug seems to be about the freezing. I can buy/sell/transport regular unfrozen blood just fine, I think it goes to a food stockpile with "animal extracts" enabled.

And if blood in barrels is a feature that's all fine with me, but I recently got a barrel of "fly ichor" and "beetle ichor". I don't think that's supposed to be possible. It's blood and stuff but... you know. ;D

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 02:01:56 pm »

A barrel full of fly ichor seems like an aweful lot of work.  :o
But it also seems like it would be incredibly valuable.. to... collectors?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:01:04 pm »

I think dwarves should eat fly ichor as a spread, like peanut butter. After all, they eat purring maggot milk. Maybe there should be maggot butter.

Also, maybe the rat blood could be used to make Dwarven Rat Gravy in a combine with Cave Wheat Flour?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ichythus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:23:52 pm »

Ahh you guys are making me hungry!!! Rat blood sausages!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 07:49:31 pm »

Black pudding, anyone?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:32 pm »

So, the question is-can you bleed your animals for drinkable/cookable blood?

Because that would make things in my fortress a lot easier.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:04 pm »

Not yet.  Blood isn't cookable yet, either.  Both of those are logical suggestions, though.

The real reason blood is sold by merchants at the moment is because poisonous blood is meant to be a commodity...  but they're not yet aware of what sort of blood is a useful poison and what isn't.  So they just sell everything.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One