Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it stigmata?  (Read 1439 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Is it stigmata?
« on: March 22, 2010, 12:25:03 am »

I have had some dwarves with odd, unexplained injuries, so I cracked open Dwarf Companion to get a look.

Apparently, I had a craftsdwarf who was bleeding (3) with no injuries, and whose job should not expose him to any injuries.

I have a woodcutter with neck and brain damage... when I know he wasn't brain damaged when I opened up Dwarf Companion a game month ago because of a seige not ending, and I know I haven't let him outside, so he should have been doing nothing but hauling.  (He has maxxed out exhaustion if that helps.)

I have a marksdwarf who participated in said seige now collapsed on the floor of my dining room, unconscious, and slowly dying of thirst, with no injuries.

Any ideas how my dwarves are injuring themselves?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it stigmata?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:31:25 am »

They're emo. :3
Anyways, they may have had something fall on them...depending on what sort of stuff you have in your fortress. If you have untame animals they may have found them and got hit, or something like that. Its a little odd, for sure.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 12:43:40 am »

booze withdrawal? mutant cats? SNeaky gobbo's?ELF MAJICS?!?!

( i misspelled magic on purpose)

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:44:28 am »

Missing mandates and getting hammered?

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:15:58 am »

Possibly minor injuries from beatings/hammerings which heal, but leave the effects active.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 09:44:53 am »

I've never had a dwarf survive that ... beatings, sure. Hammerings, no.

Is it possible to have collateral damage from sparring? One wrestler shoves another into Urist McHauler, and Urist gets pushed down the stairs and gets hurt?

(If not possible, it better get that way in the next version :D )

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:48:09 am »

Hmm maybe cold damage? Are you in freezing climate?
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:08 am »

Huh. I've never had a dwarf die from it. Maybe your Hammerer has/had a really good weapon?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 10:44:48 am »

My hammerer, "Lefty", has been unconscious ever since that unfortunate spiking accident that nearly ripped off her right arm the first year she entered the fort.

I'm in a warm climate, and my dwarf that was bleeding was a craftsdwarf who should be staying inside, running from home to mealhall to workshop to stockpile.

I suppose it's possible it was sparring collateral damage, even though my barracks are out of the way, I frequently have dwarves (as I'm sure we all do) running into the barracks to eat the soldier's food.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 10:47:10 am »

Are you sure that none of your dwarves tantrumed and started a fist fight?

The barracks thing seems unlikely, creature smashing into another doesn't damage it, only stuns.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:35:19 am »

Huh. I've never had a dwarf die from it. Maybe your Hammerer has/had a really good weapon?

Maybe. It was on an old fort, and that Hammerer died in an epic tantrum spiral long ago, along with most of the dwarves. I've only had one fort where I couldn't meet the mandates ... silly glass-loving Dukes. Since then, I've modded all soil types to function as sand in my game, and now the Hammerer gets locked in his room as soon as he arrives.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 11:57:14 am »

Maybe. It was on an old fort, and that Hammerer died in an epic tantrum spiral long ago, along with most of the dwarves. I've only had one fort where I couldn't meet the mandates ... silly glass-loving Dukes. Since then, I've modded all soil types to function as sand in my game, and now the Hammerer gets locked in his room as soon as he arrives.

You should lock the hammerer, count, countess, and tax collector all in the same room, with a single farmer who is also captain of the guard. Make sure the farmer has a good wrestling/shield user skill. You can mod this with dwarf companion if you want to. Have him be a hunter and wear plate armor at all times.

Farmer feeds the nobles only the most basic food. They only get food from a single well. The only dwarves ever hammered in the fortress will be the children of the count and countess.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 12:02:47 pm »

You should lock the hammerer, count, countess, and tax collector all in the same room, with a single farmer who is also captain of the guard. Make sure the farmer has a good wrestling/shield user skill. You can mod this with dwarf companion if you want to. Have him be a hunter and wear plate armor at all times.

Farmer feeds the nobles only the most basic food. They only get food from a single well. The only dwarves ever hammered in the fortress will be the children of the count and countess.

Nah, without a hammerer, the nobles are toothless.  I just keep the hammerer comatose, or lock her in a nice room while occasionally dropping food and booze to her.

Then my nobles are free to flip levers or work endlessly harvesting crops.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 12:14:28 pm »

Exactly. All nobles are locked on their own level. The food piles are in an airlock area and restocked about once a year with plump helmet roasts and dwarven wine. The interesting food and booze is reserved for useful dwarves.