Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud revisited.[Community Fortress]  (Read 6362 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud revisited.[Community Fortress]
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 06:47:06 pm »

Can I claim a child when one is born? Don't want to ruin any of the backstory by a namechange.

Barbarossa, please.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 11:51:32 pm »

I'd like a glassmaker if there's sand, a blacksmith if there isn't. Preferably on that likes platinum or aluminum.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 03:18:40 am »

I'd love to be a part of this. I haven't read the other threads, but have that planned for later tonight, what I've read of this thread makes me interested in being a part of it.

For my dwarf, I'd prefer an adult, if there are any avaliable, gender dosen't matter much. But for profession I'd like them to be a zookeeper(see next paragraph). ;) For name, I've liked 'Vig' in some of my forts, and I think it might go well here.

Don't suppose those two cougars were a mating pair were they? As a zoo/farm/exotic animal breeding pits, may be more of a mega project than a single community dwarf's job. I don't mind just having them be in the fortress as an animal caretaker or somesuch. I'm a big fan of domesticating exotic animals in my forts, and enjoy making full forts based around a strange pair, say Jaguars or Walrus.

Either way, it's a great story so far, with quite a history. I'll be reading the rest of this.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 05:40:49 am »

Woo! Ulogeshud returns!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 12:44:30 pm »

Hope I didn't kill things with my mega dwarf request >.>

Mr_Wizard

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Never in doubt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 05:19:00 am »

Hurray! It is back :D Such an enjoyable Fortress game

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 10:02:49 am »

It's nice to see such an enthusiastic response. :)

Killer, I need a name for your dwarf before I can give you one.

Haika, I don't have any adults right now, but I can give you one of the older available children like if you prefer. Unfortunatly the cougars were not a mating pair. However there is a chance that I will get more of them next time the elves come to get robbed blind.

Anyway, back to the story.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Arkaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 10:37:12 am »

Can I claim a child when one is born? Don't want to ruin any of the backstory by a namechange.

Same as Barbarossa, except named "Arkaine" for a Male, "Arkayna" for a female", or just "Ark" if it fits better on either sex.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 10:39:35 am »

11th Hematite, 1082

"You want me to... what!?"

Pete sighed at his eldest son's slack jawed surprise, his fingers drumming on his freshly sown leather pants impatiently as the young dwarf recomposed himself. He spent a second to admire the very fine rendition of Rikker and Tirean performing a rite in the temple that had been sewn into the leather before returning to his dumbstruck son.

"We want you to find out more information about the origin of the spring caravan, Maggarg, and if possible bring a few of them to our settlement."

The young Swordsman frowned and scuffed his sturdy iron boot against the smoothed granite floor of his father's office and spat irritably. The slightly rusty metal left a faint red streak where it hit. "Those treehuggers? Didn't you hear what they said father? They aren't any type of dwarf I've ever heard about. They aren't my kin!"

Pete felt a gray anger swelling behind his temples as he slammed his fist on the table of his office, the shock of the impact sending an open case of sheriff badges he had left on his table scattering from the force. He felt his face reddening as he stared down his child with a pair of suddenly very dark and beady eyes.

"And what will you do when your children can't find a single eligable dwarf to marry in here, SON?" Pete enunciated very carefully, a small, hidden part of him grinning as he watched the young dwarf cringe back in fear. Despite the fact that his son could easily beat him in any form of combat. "The fact of the matter is, the more dwarves we can find to join our settlement the better. Until now we thought we were the last. Now we know this isn't true any more, however we do know we are the last dwarven fortress in th world. The last true dwarves, do you know what that means?" Pete paused as he suddenly found himself needing to take a breath, his neatly braided hair and very bushy hair had come loose during his tirade and a few wisps of red were obscuring his vision.

"Umm..." Maggarg said uncertainly, his armor clanking as he shifted his weight.

"It means it is up to us to find what remains of our people, and bring them back. The dwarves in the Elven caravan... they acted like elves themselves. Nothing like proper dwarves at all. We weren't ready for them, or their reaction, however now we ARE. Next time they will not be escaping like they did this year." Pete smiled, he used his right hand to tame his wayward hair as the rage began to subside. His face quickly began to return to a more calculating gaze, one that made Maggarg even more nervous to see than the rage had. "However, there is a good chance there are more of them out there, or that they will not return this year. That is why I am sending you out, one of our best and strongest dwarves, to find them and return with one. I don't care how you do it, in chains or not... it doesn't matter. Do you understand?"

Maggarg was silent for a moment, his eyes glancing around the many trophies and marks of status in his father's study. A little light filtered down from the vents in the ceiling, lighting a few yards of cloth that were halfway to becoming a fine tunic. After a long moment he nodded, his helm clanking against his holster.

"Then begin packing immediately."

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »

I'm fine with a child at this point. :) Though I think the profile images got copied wrong, as I see two Vig's.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 12:47:40 pm »

Sorry about Babarossa, apparantly I had put the wrong picture in her file.

Hematite 13th

Rirdest Irkagelu snorted as he tramped over the hard ground, small pebble scatter down the gentle slope for a few feet until they either settled in mud or ran into a narrow crevice.  His pinched face was twisted in irritation and disgust as he thought about the duty ahead.

If only that thrice-damned magistrate hadn't panicked when the elven liason had arrived at Onuthupesor. If only they hadn't caved to the druid's insistant demands. If only Rirdest had left on schedule, rather than waiting for the go-ahead from his superiors. He rather liked the silly creatures at Ulolgeshud, after all, and he absolutely hated to be the bearer of bad news.

His begrudging attitude aside, Rirdest couldn't help but smile as he rounded a small cliff face and spotted the towering gatehouse of Ulolgeshud in the distance. It was unique in this world, each structure defying all architectural views from every major human nation (and probably would defy all elven views if they ever bothered to construct buildings). As the caravan approached the two large Istallian Shepards, likely descendants of the ones they had brought three years prior, barked loudly. Stopping as the caravan guards produced small treats of the same kind that Glacies had shown them one year prior.

As the dogs quieted, content with the tripe, a pair of dwarves approached. One in a heavily embroidered silk robe, resplendent green thread darting and dancing out spectacular scenes amidst the russet red cloth, her clear blue eyes glittered in the warm summer sunlight as she warmly smiled and raised her hands in welcome. The other dwarf, smaller male dressed in dusky leather, was gray from a faint covering of dust. His face bore striking resemblance to the woman at his side, but his eyes were a brown so dark that it may as well have been black, and his face was narrower and without the smile.

Rirdest struggled to smile as he returned Rikkir's gesture. His shrewd eyes betraying his distress as he came within two armslengths of the dwarves. "Rikkir, Sukasa." Rirdest nodded to each in turn, the latter smiling at the recognition from the trader. "I bring bad bad tidings, from my government to yours. Please, gather the remainder of your leadership immediately."

Rikkir's vocalized greeting, not even half said, died on her lips as her hands fell. Her smile immediately fading to a more calculated, and slightly hurt, expression. "Of course, friend, at once. Come in, rest, and speak with me while Sukasa gathers them."

Hematite 14th

Five dwarves and one human sat in a loose circle inside of Sneakypete's office, shouldered up against numerous racks of Axes, Armor Stands filled with dusty suits, and statues of the years gone by. Of the seven chairs that had been set, one remained conspicuously absent at Feb's side, as he pounded his gavel upon Sneakypete's desk in the too-warm building. The dwarves around the circle continued to shout, unheeding the pounding of the gavel as Rirdest slowly continued to repeat the words that he had been commanded to give.

Mulch's voice rang high above the angry murmur of the others as he slammed the handle of his axe into the tiled stone, his dark features expressing a calm that few of the others could show. "What do you mean we are not to investigate these dwarves?" As he shouted Tirean and Pete voiced their agreement, the latter calling over the crowd with a face reddened from both anger and alcohol, "You've said there were not any of us left, years ago when we asked, Now when we find some other dwarves without you we aren't 'allowed'! What the flaming cat glove is that?"

"Who made you our keeper!?" Tirean shouted, her loose, undyed tunic flopping a bit as she stood with her fist raised in Rirdest's direction.

Rirdest remained composed in the face of the ire of the three dwarves, focusing instead on the much clamer Feb, who had given up on the gavel. "My people and our allies have reason to belive that something... untoward might happen if your people were to travel outside of your settlement for the time being. My magistrate in particular insists that you wait until your population is both stable and livable before you attempt to make contact with other groups, especially the remnants of The Intricate Nut."

Rikkir rose, her eyes glittering in the dim light. "This is outrageous Rirdest." Are you to lock us in our walls then? Stealing key to our gates and destroy our drawbridge winches? To barring our doors and lock our champions inside of the barracks? To keep us from any outsiders that you and your magistrate do not approve!? We are not your slaves human, you have no right!" She punctuated each sentence with a short pause, during which a faint cheer grew with every pass until their voices nearly drowned her out with cheering at the end of the short speech.

"Mother! You know that is out of line!" Feb shouted, his gavel once again bashing on the desk. A faint puff of powder arose from the stone as he struck downward. The entire office was bedlam for several minutes as the desperatly outnumbered and outshouted Feb tried to restore order amongst his peers.

After nearly ten minutes the shouting turned hoarse, faded, and died, leaving the entire assembly listening to the sickly sound of the damaged gavel pounding on the now very-dented desk. Finally, Rirdest stood and bowed to each of the four dissenting leaders in turn. "If that is how you feel, so be it."

Rirdest removed a scroll from his breeches, pulling free the sinew string that held it tight and unfurling the thick parchment that bore several copies of the seal of the Onuthpesor magistrate. With as official and impartial a tone as he could muster he read the distasteful words of the decree to the dwarves of Ulolgeshud.

"By order of the king and magistrate of Onuthpesor, I hearby declare all dwarves found outside of Ulolgeshud not in the company of an elf or human, to be outlaws in ours and all of our allied nations. Any such creature shall be treated as a known criminal or raider, and attacked and put to death on sight. So decrees the law of Onuthpesor."

There was silence for a long moment as the words rang in the empty chamber. Every attending dwarf turning to their fellows with a drained, angry look as Rirdest rolled the thick parchment back up and returned it to his pocket.

"It is done." The trader said sadly, bowing to each dwarf in turn, "I am sorry Rikkir, Pete, Feb, Tirean, and Mulch. I am sorry to the absent Glacies, and all of your people." Rirdest bowed to each in turn, and then turned on his heel towards the door to the office, stopping only once to speak over his shoulder "I wish it could have been some other way"
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:51:46 pm by Jamini »

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 01:48:34 am »

Hmmm... The plot thickens.

I wonder how everyone will react to the idea that they were allowed to live as an agreed upon experiment between the Elven and Human nations.  ;D
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 03:56:44 am »

Hmmm... The plot thickens.

I wonder how everyone will react to the idea that they were allowed to live as an agreed upon experiment between the Elven and Human nations.  ;D
-J-

Now that's a scary thought, but I want to support it in the face of overwhelming evidence.

The plot thickens, now the only thing to do is to wade in it hoping to reach the shore.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 04:54:43 pm »

Noooo.
Don't tell me it's come back only to disappear again!
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2]