Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No sand? No wood? No flux? no bauxite? Obsidian Mod!  (Read 9709 times)

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No sand? No wood? No flux? no bauxite? Obsidian Mod!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 05:21:47 pm »

I can't seem to get the reactions to show up

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 03:21:19 am »

I can't get it to work either.  The pearlash + obsidian doesn't show up, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  It's a shame, because it would be an awesome mod for the obsidian fortress I'm about to build!

Oh, and the idea to use magma smelters to cool obsidian mentioned in this thread?  I love it!  Perfect fit with this mod.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 04:26:07 am »

A-HA!  It appears my mistake was that I did not quit / delete all files in data/objects / regenerate the world after adding the files.  Not all steps may be necessary, but after doing 'em all it began working.

Modding smelters to allow them to cool magma was easy, but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to stop regular, non-magma smelters from getting that option as well.  I shall have to be honest, still beats magma/water farming rooms by lightyears.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 04:45:40 pm »

Great mod, I've been using it for a short while now and I love it!

There is, however, one tiny problem.  The magma-safe hardened obsidian blocks that can be produced are not very useful, as far as I understand they cannot be used to create magma-safe floodgates, mechanisms, floor hatches, grates, etc, which seems like their intended purpose.  I just modded the reaction slightly to cause it to create hardened obsidian rocks instead, useful for all of the above.

The modified file is:
reaction_obsidian.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also mentioned earlier adding a cooling magma option to the smelter.  It allows you to get obsidian rocks out of any smelter, even non-magma ones, but for those who can resist the urge to cheat just a little with non-magma smelters, here's the required file for that as well.

reaction_magma_smelter_obsidian_cooler.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2]