Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No sand? No wood? No flux? no bauxite? Obsidian Mod!  (Read 9710 times)

deepwatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No sand? No wood? No flux? no bauxite? Obsidian Mod!
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »

Hello all

Here is a small mod i just finished.
Its only 3 files but it will add a significant improvement.
This mod changes nothing, it just adds 3 internal stones, some special metal which will only be accessible by this mod and a few reactions. You can safely add it to nearly any other major mod.

What it does?
In one sentence: It will allow you to experience the full game flavour even on maps
without wood, sand or metal by adding a complete new production queue depending on obsidian.

You know that, i am sure: You found a real cool map spot but... No wood. Damn. No sand... and only copper? Oh well. Even its possible to play on that spots the sad thing is that you miss alot of the game experience just because you never will get any glass, clear vials. Bauxite is another problem. And not enough wood will slow you down. Flux? oh no...

This mod will change it. You can now settle on nearly every spot. Water, magma and rocks. Thats all. If you don't have magma, wood and obsidian layers will do it too.

How it works?

Lets listen to the dwarf which found the secret, somewhere in same strange lands:

"My King, i found it!"
"What?" The king even not stopped eating the turtle.
"I found it! It is the adamantine. In the magma!"
"Adamantine! Praise the Rocks!! How much you have found!!!?" The king starts dancing on his throne.
"Well... its not so easy. We can't... well... extract it".
"WHAT?" The king stopped dancing. "What that means 'we can extract it'? Is it there or not? And why we talk about it: WHERE is it?"
"Its in the magma. Or better: In the obsidian, my king. Its only a touch. Not visible even. You had to mine out a whole moutain range of obsidian and extract the adamantine in it to get enough for a single arrow tip." The dwarf starts smiling.
"But it seems that in the deepest earth adamantine was molten and bound to the obsidian - which is normally not possible. But we learned to process pure adamantine and so we noticed that it is in the obisidian too."
The king nods. "So, it is there and we can't use it. So, why we should care?"
The dwarf starts smiling even more.
"Oh, we *can* use it, my king. I said 'we can't extract it' not 'we can't use it'. The adamantine in the obsidian changed that stone. With our experience of our secret dwarven workship of adamantine processing we are now able to process obsidian too!
We can process it like adamantine. Ok, far not that powerful and not nearly as good to forge as adamantine - but we can forge the obsidian to a special metal that we call 'obsidmantine'. With that base, which we can craft to wafers like adamantine, we can forge normal obsidian to a new metal! My King, we can forge ALL obsidian to a new metal now!"
The king is thinking a bit... then he started to dance again.

Well, so far the idea. And i was able to do it.

How his mods works:

The heart of this mod is that you get a pearlash and a obsidian stone in the smelter and then you forge one stone of "raw obsidmantine". You enabled the adamantine in it, so said.

That rocks can now be processed in the crafter shops like normal adamantine strands to threads. You will notice a 2nd option to create such threads in the workshop menu after you created your first "raw obsidmantine". It uses the strand extractor skill and you will get a new metal: "obsidmantine threads"!

That can now be forged to wafers in the forge.
And now the fun starts.
The metal wafers itself are not that useful, you can use it itself only to a few basic things like toys in the smithy - thats not it use. They are used combined with another normal obsidian rocks as a catalytic converter to create the basic "dwarven obsidian metal". Thats a metal on the level of bronze, usable for weapons, armor and all stuff like a normal metal, accept anvils. Its not that powerful in this stage - far weaker as iron.

But... You can combine it with normal metal - and that makes it powerful. Every metal usable for weapons (means: hard metal) is usable. Dwarven obsidian with copper will create "copper obsidian". Same for bronze, bismuth bronze and iron.

Combined with 2 more wafers it can be forged to "black obsidian" - a metal more powerful as steel.

But the best obsidian metal is steel obsidian. Very powerful... and.. it can be forged with silver, gold, aluminum or platinum to "gold steel obsidian" and such.
That metal is VERY powerful, between 50-75% of adamantine.
But to that stage you have to use PLENTY of obsidian stones, wafers and pearlash.

But thats not enough. You can forge out of black obsidian, 2 wafers, iron and some more parts ... steel obsidian. It means you can upgrade lower metal obsidian over black obsidian with one iron to steel obsidian - without flux (the flux is the obsidan, the wafers and the heavy forge chain).

This mod allows to to forge some stuff, smelt it back to bars and upgrade it to a better metal when you found better resources.

Thats the 2nd part of this mod: To make it possible to have deeper game experience even on maps which less resources.
What that means?

- no wood
- no sand
- no bauxite
- no flux

Because the metling chain of the obsidian metal you can create steel obsidian without flux. It will not allow you to create normal steel but you get a better option. With flux all is easier and faster, without it needs more resources and work.

For no wood we need not much more. On a map without magma and wood you are doomed. No energy. I don't changed that.
But on a magma map you need still wood for 3 things: Siege engines, beds and ashes.
For siege engines you don't need SO much wood. Its good for the game play to let that untouched. Embark with enough wood for your siege engines or trade for them.
But for beds and ashes you need tons of wood. Its impossible to trade for enough.

For the ash->potash->lye->pearlash->soup chain i added a reaction which created one ash out of 3 fiber threads. As a side effect farming is now alot more important AND you can create a whole working industry out of this now.

For the bed i combined it with the "no sand" option. I created a reaction to make "obsidian glass" out of obsidian using a stone block of obsidian and pearlash.
It is used for 3 other reactions: 3 glass blocks and 3 cloth gives one bed. Compared
to the wood bed alot resources but again: The goal is to add another game play layer, not to change the old way. The costs for that are more resources and work.

The 2nd glass reaction is to create a "clear glass vial" to allow the alchemy shop on maps without sand/glass.

The last one is to create a rough obsidian glass gem, which can be cutted and used as gem like the rough green/clear glass.

BTW: I set the obsidian metal/glass color to dark blue, it looks better i found. You can change the color back of course if you want create your real "dark fortress".

These reactions sounds powerful but they do nothing more as normal glass will do too, except for the bed. They are complete comparable to the original work chains. For green glass you need only sand, here we need a pearlash. Even we get now ash out of thread you still need to establish the whole ash->lye/potash->pearlash chain. Enjoy. More working dwarfs.

The last reaction is simple: Use 3 obsidmantine wafers, 2 pearlash and some obsidian blocks to create a "hardened obsidian". What it does? Nothing special except it comes with a melting point like bauxite.

So, no need to have sand, wood or bauxite. Its good to have, its nice to overcome now.

Test it out. These mod establish its own work flow over the original one, extending it or opens alternative ways.

I think you will like it.

Here are the 3 files. Paste them in a file and copy them to the raws. Be sure you name the files EXACTLY as described, the file name have to be the same as the first line in the file or the game will not load them. Create a new world and be a true rock dwarf!
Wood is for elves!

matgloss_stone_obsidian.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

matgloss_metal_obsidian.txt

reaction_obsidian.txt

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:41:44 pm by deepwatch »

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:40:02 pm »

Interesting, if only to further my own mods ^^

deepwatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:01:59 pm »

Feel free to get what you want from the stuff above.

I already wondering no one was using that build queue...
My first guess was it don't works but it works perfect.

The wafers way to build a own work process can be done for any
special metal/stone/gems of course...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:55:39 am »

Question:

Why SHOULD every map have everything?

Player choice in embark location should actually be meaningful.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:01:28 am »

Question:

DF is an open game, not everyone plays it the same way. If having everything doesn't suit you, don't. Some people (myself, for example) are more interested in the building aspect of the game than the numerous other aspects. And, sometimes, the crazy ideas in my head don't match up with an embark location that has everything I need. I am not adverse to modding in order to get what I want.

Which isn't to say, of course, that I play all my maps that way. I have two forts right now that are pure vanilla as far as resources are concerned (bigger and badder enemies wearing iron and steal not withstanding).

Some people are also interested in theme forts: for example, a fort where everything (EVERYTHING) is made of glass, or, in this case, obsidian. The very fact that he put time and effort into creating all of that (I'd rather play, personally) proves it. And now he is just sharing for other people.

In short: Obsidian mod in "some people like spinach and some don't" nonshocker.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:29:29 am »

Good job.

Personally I hate beeing dependent on something - you should be able to deal with lack of everything. No wood? Build bed from something else - it will be expensive, hard and outcome may be not as good as wanted, but it will work.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:06:10 am »

Sinergistic: Good response, actually.

I do agree, in contrast to my other post, that some things ARE too hard to get in DF. For instance, importing things like sand and raw gems.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

deepwatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:56:12 am »

You are all right guys, but in fact exactly for that kind of different opinions
the obsidian mod is there:

The mod gives you freedom in terms of game play.
You don't must think with it now to much about "all is there or not".

Perhaps you change your mind? You started as iron man but then the game
changes (df is complex...) and you wished you had yxz now.

With the obsidian mod you always have an option in the backhand. It will
give you options to do things - it will force you to NOTHING and it will change
the vanilla game flow in no way as long you don't touch the initial smelter reactions.

Perhaps  you want them, perhaps not.
If not,  simply ignore the obsidian part. The mod and its stuff is then simply invisible
and inactive as long you don't start to produce the initial stones for the production line.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:58:02 am by deepwatch »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: No sand? No wood? No flux? no bauxite? Obsidian Mod!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:07:19 am »

I'll try this out, looks outstanding. I love extra options as I tend to embark in a location that looks nice, and don't pay much attention to the available resources. I have an eye for what I want to build, but not where.

deepwatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:18:58 am »

i play it by myself - i removed the pearlash in the glass part reactions. It makes it easier to produce and its speeding the gameplay up. Try it out when you like to have more to do (i like it).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 10:48:35 am »

Question:

Your definately right every map shouldn't have everything.

Unfortunately when it comes to tantrums and demands you can be driven insane.

So this mod is alright... though perhaps a bit too cheaty for my tastes

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:49:09 pm »

I've actually been using a similar sort of mod for about 6 months now.

The basic gist of it is prospecting. You can prospect rocks for various metals, with the more valuable metal requiring more rocks per bar. Its far more efficient if you have the actual ore available, but even if you have no ore at all its still possible to get something. Its even possible to get adamantine, but it'll take you getting 100 rocks into the smelter and processing it to get a single thread, so its no small feat. I did however change the thread to wafer reaction so that the thread isn't used up, going on the assumption that adamantine is magical and whatnot.

Also, there is a reaction to produce obsidian, which functions as an ordinary rock that can be prospected. I'm going under the assumption that the player will have magma, sand, or gravel available. Using the smelter, magma can be cooled into obsidian, or sand/gravel can be melted down into it as well, with the only cost being fuel and time.

I also have a gather wood reaction in the smelter, though thats just a freebie at the moment. I'm hoping to abstract it as a tower cap farm, where you can just put a few of those in an out of the way section of your fort, down in the lower regions near water, and have it just repeat the farm wood task. Consider it to be automated tree chopping or something.

This can be further expanded by allowing, say, fossils to be prospected from the rocks, which can be used as ordinary bones for various purposes, such as crafting and decorating. While the logic of extracting fossils from solidified magma is iffy, assume that the dorfs are actually digging through the boulders produced by digging out tunnels to look for bone fragments.

My next step would be to produce random gems from prospecting. I attempted to do this with metals, but it didn't work well. I could also have it produce a fraction of a bar of every type of metal per reaction, say, 5% of an iron bar per rock processed, plus a % of all other metals, and the fragments would be saved inside the smelter until you have enough for 1 bar, at which point it would appear as an item to be moved around or used like any other metal bar. However, I didn't like the lack of return on these reactions, so I just made a series of prospecting reactions for every type of base metal. Alloys must still be made by mixing bars.

Similarly with gems, I may be able to do the fragments of gems, but again, lack of return. And I don't want to make a reaction for every single gem type, as thats going to make the task list a pain to scroll through for each smelter.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 04:49:44 am »

Wow, this makes the game much tougher.. especially now that I could embark on desert or tundra maps.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:51:50 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 02:22:16 am »

Similarly with gems, I may be able to do the fragments of gems, but again, lack of return. And I don't want to make a reaction for every single gem type, as thats going to make the task list a pain to scroll through for each smelter.

Perhaps if you do the fractional gem returns at the same time as the metal prospecting it will be random enough. Like you prospect for iron and secretly the game records 2/3 of an emerald as well. This would be transparent to the player. Next time he prospected for Iron though he may also get an emerald...? I don't know if that works.

Runic86

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 03:43:03 am »

I think that would be a nice addition, but only for metal, gems are valued mostly by size; you can do the same thing by adding a small chance to obtain a gem when you use stone in masonry or crafting (just like some ores that when smelted can give you 2 bars of different metals). I don't know if this can be done, but it would be cool.

My .02
Pages: [1] 2