Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Massive heat generation  (Read 7299 times)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive heat generation
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:43 pm »

A 5% cumulative heat reduction every month seems like a good conservative figure.

seems like a good conservative figure.

a good conservative figure.

conservative figure.

>:(
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:51:43 am »

I think some crimes should always apply, though. If somebody saw Osama bin Laden walking down the street even though it'd been a decade since he'd done anything, he'd still be arrested.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 06:33:46 am »

I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Sigged
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 11:23:20 pm »

I think some crimes should always apply, though. If somebody saw Osama bin Laden walking down the street even though it'd been a decade since he'd done anything, he'd still be arrested.

Would he though? It seems to me it's very convenient for our government to have an ambiguous threat like him hanging over our head. They (I think Rumsfield was in charge at the time) basically let him walk over the border to Pakistan during the invasion of Afghanistan and it's opium by sending a 400 man team of special ops while telling the army to stay out of their way (although I could be wrong on the whole re-routing the army away).  Yeah, special ops sounds cool and are more badass then the average soldier, and makes it sound like your trying REALLY hard to catch the guy, but 400 guys even spread 50 yards apart looking for someone isn't going to cover much ground much less a whole border. It was either a totally moronic bit of planning or like I said, convenient.

If my facts (taken from yahoo news a few months back so I might be hazy) are wrong please feel free to correct me.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did it myself. Here's stuff.

This is an excellent article on what happened and includes the commander there. Apparently I was wrong and they only sent 90 American special forces, known as Delta Force. The main force of 2000 or so men were the thugs of two Warlords of questionable loyalty, one of which was a "wealthy drug smuggler" the US convinced for some unfathomable reason (hmm maybe to smuggle the drugs for them? I mean, what else are you going to do with the record breaking harvests year after year after freaking year?) to come back to Afghanistan from France. THE OTHER WAS A FORMER MEMBER OF THE TALIBAN WTF
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/12/11/how_osama_bin_laden_escaped

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is kinda scary too, at least someone higher up stopped this idea. Landmines scattered in the only passes between two countries? What was he thinking? They do have those new anti-vehicle landmines that self destruct after a while, that would be the only way I could see this plan having worked without massive civilian casualties unless the guy who volunteered it also planned on removing them somehow.  But from the way it sounds these were anti-personal mines which I'm unsure if they have self-destruct capability. Perhaps air burst explosives to set them off or something similar, I know they have bombs that will take out minefields to an extent. Also, if they had time to lay down mines why couldn't they bring in more troops, other then a failed strategy? I suppose they must have airdropped mines now judging from the wording of the article though he may have meant dropped as in a supply drop. Who knows what they can do now, what with all that money going to the military while Hawaii has a four day schoolweek because they can't afford the fifth day. It seems to me the mines scattered sitting in plain view or the parachute if there is one would be a give away if they were airdropped.

"The audacious assault was nixed somewhere up the chain of command. Undeterred, Fury suggested dropping hundreds of landmines along the passes leading to Pakistan to block bin Laden's escape. "First guy blows his leg off, everybody else stops," he said. "That allows aircraft overhead to find them. They see all these heat sources out there. OK, there is a big large group of al Qaeda moving south. They can engage that." That proposal was rejected, too."

Here is another article from the NY times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/world/asia/29torabora.html

Here is a more conservative piece. Basically it's all a bunch of Obama lies being told by John Kerry according to them. I apologize for the poor quality of this piece, it's the best I could find after a few pages of results on Google. I'd imagine the Conservatives would like nothing better then to have this talked about as little as possible. Notice how little in the article is actually about the incident in question, just a short paragraph, one sentence that gives an extremely basic report of the situation, yet somehow without evidence we are met with an attempt to persuade us it's all political hogwash by those damned liberal extremists. Most of the story is about the report itself and the (actually bipartisan if I remember correctly) Senate Foreign Relations Committee that made the finding and about how it's some sort of plot by Obama carried out by Sen. John Kerry, who happens to lead the Committee. Good thing too, or else we never would have heard another thing about it. It's not so much a plot in my opinion as much as someone actually looked into it finally.

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/dems-claims-bush-let-bin-laden-escape
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:39:48 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

terroroinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 01:29:02 pm »

I can agree with this. Fortunately, it won't be hard to implement. Heat is already tracked separately from criminal record, so heat can decay over time without changing how the court system works. A 5% cumulative heat reduction every month seems like a good conservative figure. This would halve your heat every 13 to 14 months. A 10% cumulative heat reduction every month would halve your heat every 6 to 7 months.

Just registered here cuz I love the game, but the heat problem is really annoying.  Being forced to move people around nearly every turn takes away too much fun. I really hope the heat reduction will be implemented soon :'(

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 02:31:59 pm »

You really don't have to move people around every turn, even with large heat numbers. I believe it's every few weeks at most really.

I'm thinking about removing heat from safehouses themselves, and instead having be directly determined by the heat of the people in the safehouse, modified by the amount of protection the safehouse provides.

This wouldn't preclude also having heat decay over time from your liberals.

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 07:57:21 pm »

Actually, getting around as Bin Laden is surpsingly easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chaser_APEC_pranks#Breach_of_APEC_restricted_zone

Pages: 1 [2]