Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thief of the Fortress  (Read 1714 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thief of the Fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 03:30:32 pm »

What about the amount and appearance of criminals being mainly determined by the lack of jobs/money for dwarfs? It'd turn (some) haulers into thieves, and then they'd sell their loot to fences. (Which would probably be shopkeepers that accept to sell stolen loot.)

If found there's also a chance that they're recruited as scouts/thieves to steal from goblins or other hostiles if they're skilled enough.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 04:08:23 pm »

ya'know, in a sick sorta way, this could actually be beneficial to players.

the organized crime people learn that the countess has forbidden the export of glass merchandise. the Group (which is what i shall call the organized crime) has been stealing a lot of these, and were planning on selling these to the next batch of traders for a profit. (can toady implement that? thieves sell items they steal to traders to get themselves some coin) so, they decide she needs to go. mandate ended.

or, the Group learns that more dwarves are joining the guard. the put a hit on the captain. maybe it causes a bad thought for the guard, maybe causes them to "accidentally" let a member of the Group go. possibly with a few more coins in the guards pockets.

would be a neat little pro/con deal for organized crime.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 04:27:08 pm »

What about the amount and appearance of criminals being mainly determined by the lack of jobs/money for dwarfs? It'd turn (some) haulers into thieves, and then they'd sell their loot to fences. (Which would probably be shopkeepers that accept to sell stolen loot.)

While I think income disparity should be a factor of it...I'd like this to be one of those challenges you can't avoid just by doing everything right. Too many elements of DF are "failure checks" including moods. So I'd like the thief (organized crime, petty crime, master thief, whatever you want to call it) to be one of those inescapable developments of later fortress life.

I do like the idea of black market sales bypassing mandates however. You could even create a new line for the fortress economy "black market." It contributes to fortress wealth like everything else, but handles when special personalities (thief yadda yadda) show up. Perhaps if your illicit fortress wealth gets too high, the King blows a gasket or something and randomly throws multiple people in prison.

The illicit fortress wealth could also include some of the ideas floating (dude, I'm floating) around the Recreational Drug Use thread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:11 am »

I understand why a lot of people are saying they dont like the OP's rules.The constant push for sim rather than RPG in dwarf fortress i think is actually very cool. we're already seeing the beginnings of emergent stories and i say the more work done on that the better. however there will need to be shortcuts, so I suggest this mix-and-match approach.

Procedural crime
poor dwarves, desperate dwarves, dwarves with grudges, all try either sneaking at night or pickpocketing by day, to steal items they feel they need. other crimes eventually,with the highest level of grudge between dwarves with certain personalities, can lead to murder. All of the Fortress Guard now get the job: gathering evidence, interviewing witness, etc. which can be either a series of mini games for the player or maybe just automated jobs.
when the procedurality gets complex enough maybe you could see the natural rise of organised crime in a dwarf fort, e.g Noble bans production of barrels. Dwarves run out of booze. A group of profit minded, non law abiding dwarves decide to build barrels at night and sell them surreptitiously to the brewer, therefore gaining a lot of money to begin their set up as an organised crime ring. but for now it will probably need to be more gamey, untill the simulation becomes a lot more complex.

Master Thief/ Crime Syndicate
you get either a Master Thief or a small crime syndicate clan, in your first emigration after you reach 100 dwarves, with a certain (high) wealth. They will not come if you have less than 100 dwarves, or low wealth, because they need a high population to have any hope of blending in, and because they wouldnt risk coming out to one of these forts unless it has plenty of haul-able loot.

If we're going to include modded creatures, skeletal crossbowwhales.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 11:24:31 am »

I especially like the organized crime idea, lets say you cant produce totems from goblins and elves, well they have em stored up for you...
Pages: 1 [2]