Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Learning to sketch (aka: drawing stuff with a pencil. More or less acuratedly)  (Read 1667 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile

I suggest taking some classes to get you started, unless you already have a bit of skill or are cynical. ;D

(I've been meaning to take classes for ages, but I never have enough time...)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

My first two drawings (Ok, I had done other two before these, one of a pencil sharpener and another of a coke can, but these are the two first detailed ones ones)
http://img32.imageshack.us/i/gandr.jpg/
http://img697.imageshack.us/i/kitjpg.jpg/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:37:08 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

You've definitely got some skill there.  I'll let the more advanced guys give specific critique, though.  Now, for material I'd recommend, Andrew Loomis books have already been mentioned, and there is a book called Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards that I have been told is a good source.  I've recently checked it out from the school library and it's pretty fascinating so far (although I think I might be a bit more advanced in some ways than most that pick it up; I've done other stuff before it).  It actually lays out a plan of activities to develop your skills.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures

There are loads of advice that can be given to intermediate to advanced learners, but a beginner is better off with just that - draw as much and as often as you can. There's nothing else to it.

This.  Everything else is secondary to mileage, imo. 

One other thing I don't think I saw mentioned is to copy drawings by artists you like.  Especially when you're starting out, I think this is even more helpful than drawing from life, because you learn how good artists handled problems, rather than trying to figure them out yourself. 
You have struck Microcline!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

Dont go making a chore out of it and going and learning all this stuff.

You have to draw from your heart, it doesnt matter if other people think it looks good or not.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile

One other thing I don't think I saw mentioned is to copy drawings by artists you like.  Especially when you're starting out, I think this is even more helpful than drawing from life, because you learn how good artists handled problems, rather than trying to figure them out yourself. 

One note here, which I'm sure Balathustrius knows of as well - don't trace. Copy is fine to learn a technique, but don't trace the picture. You won't learn anything that way.

マグマキッド
Pages: 1 [2]