Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Learning to sketch (aka: drawing stuff with a pencil. More or less acuratedly)  (Read 1670 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Aka: stuff you could potentially show around without shame.

I already found drawsketch.about.com. Does anyone have other suggestions for tutorials/etc?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Draw doodles.
Then draw expansive doodles.
(Maybe trace a bit.)
Then draw something you love.
Then draw a picture.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I'm trying contour drawing as of now. For simple objects, for now.

This doodle thing is sort of unconvincing. It might be good for a comic-book style type of drawing, but I'm looking more to the erm, realistic look, so to speak.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm trying contour drawing as of now. For simple objects, for now.

This doodle thing is sort of unconvincing. It might be good for a comic-book style type of drawing, but I'm looking more to the erm, realistic look, so to speak.
Skip that then. Move onto drawing stuff you like to draw. Draw it alot.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Subway.
 Each sketch is ten seconds.
 Random people.

GOGOGOGO.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No color only 10 seconds.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

I apologize for not explaining in depth.

Go to a place with lots of people. Start sketching them out, only taking ten seconds for each one. You will learn the basic flow of the human body, a framework that will allow you to pose people correctly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange

Not much, and I took an additional five seconds with the paint tool,
 but here is my contribution to the ten second sketch-athon:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some sort of Orange.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats a tanish peachish color though...
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=42086.msg768996#msg768996

Maybe you could try these as suggested by Davions Post earlier in another thread ... the Loomis ones are (free) downloadable .PDFs and look quite informative, especially for accurate pencil sketching of general figures etc.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Whenever I draw something; well, it's my style, but I generally render something mostly by winging it if I don't have anything to base off of (or make a 3d model of it in my head, find a good POV to render, and adapt it to a 2D medium).

If I do have something to base my drawing from, I would generally map out the key points of the picture I'm making by looking at what I'm rendering, line it up in a way of fitting the picture into the paper, stylishly, or still life. Make a sort of golden rule marker across the paper I'm using to have a proportional scale (generally as really fine, almost invisible spots on the paper; and imply the proportioning lines) I can use (especially if it's larger sketch paper or newsprint). After that, I highlight the key points of what I'm rendering (front-most points, edges, distant points, key points for comparison, as well as memory in case I get distracted, and forgot where I was last. Some mere points, others minor details I can recognize immediately), and then get cracking on refining the outline.

After that, I just about render how a picture is loaded on a computer; LODs (levels of detail). I start off with the less significant, and get a good idea of what I'm doing, then gradually refine to superior details, even to an insignificant crack, or light flare on a surface, if need be.

Of course, the majority of that kind of dedication is, like I said, for works larger than an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper; where I can fit more detail.

On rare occasions, I do the process in reverse, or just forgo measurement and such overall; just as long as it looks right. Many a fey mood I had in art; I have made stuff sans measuring, or using a ruler for straight lines or proportioning, and have come up with some renderings that are engineeringly sound, or at least somewhat plausible.

Looking back, I am impressed with the quality I can pack in within 3-6 solid hours. Figure drawing, however, that takes some work which I, unfortunately, wasn't gifted with the talent. But some of my renderings I've done for classes are still rather well done. Then again, I consider those, along with other trinkets of note, something that helps many of my other times of drawing. For example, consider the mind like a computer, or a really complex camera. Well, my eyes photocopy what I am rendering, my brain interprets (according to boundaries and reference markers I place), and I render in the most optimal way I can.

A majority of my works were done in pencil BTW. Mechanical pencil 0.5mm to be precise. Can't go wrong with it. Larger works, of course, require more heavy-duty and more professional variety materials. Otherwise, it'll take ages to render something on a sheet that large (material also being a major factor).

I hope I helped out a bit.

EDIT:
As odd as you may look, if it's something handheld or within a human scale (1:1 scale; or a miniature non-existent model); envision it, and believe it exists. Manifest it as a private reality of sorts, and interact with it. Take note of what you have imagined, and handled, and etc.. Use your hands if you must. So what if you end up looking like a mime. You're collecting information about something that doesn't presently exist.

With notes in mind, as well as a better idea of what you want made, Now render it. The process should be much easier.

It's usually how I design my weapons and ships and such. I generally scrutinize every bit of something, like an engineer working on a groundbreaking piece of technology; or repairing a stubborn device. Weight, design, how well it interacts with it's purpose, and it's handler, etc.. All these things considered, it will significantly simplify an idea if you want/need to explain it to somebody. Plus, now you have more toys stored in your head to mess around with. Who cares if you look silly; you're having fun with it.

I guess to simplify it as best I could: Imagine like a child, render like a professional. The results, if done right, can multiply your skill development.

I already made it through Drawing II in my local college. So, I have some other pointers I can recall from the class if you need additional help.

Freebie:
Negative space. Use it well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:03:17 am by Itnetlolor »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you wanted to, do you think you could draw the picture from another angle?

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Draw from life, draw from life, draw from life.

Hang out at a coffee shop, park, subway or somewhere else and draw people, plants, animals, etc living life. Check out local listings and see if there are nude models in your area looking for work, or check around and see if there is an art group that already meets to do figure drawing, or go to a nearby college and see if you can get in on a course of two of figure drawing.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

One thing I find helps is to forget your are drawing an object. Focus on the shapes. If you draw a notebook, do not draw the notebook; it will merely be the semi-abstracted idea you have of a notebook in your mind. Forget it is a notebook, and draw the shapes and lines which you see.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile

Lessee...

Practice. It doesn't matter that it's the most-used advice in the entire world, it's also the one that works for everyone. Practice, every day. Draw - if you can't find anything interesting to draw, draw something nearby; it doesn't have to be interesting, but you need to draw. Try at least 10 minutes every day, more if you can.

There are loads of advice that can be given to intermediate to advanced learners, but a beginner is better off with just that - draw as much and as often as you can. There's nothing else to it.
マグマキッド
Pages: [1] 2