Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Google Lifts Chinese Censorship  (Read 2528 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Google Lifts Chinese Censorship
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 08:46:22 pm »

It might not even be China at all. Maybe just some rogue factors of the citizenry.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 08:52:29 pm »

Probably won't last very long though, as a part of this includes Google ceasing operations in China.

Know anyone Chinese who can confirm that guess?

They were discussing it on a business radio station yesterday. It's pretty much confirmed.

I doubt Baidu could taker up the same market as Google had.

Eh, Baidu has like a 60% market share. Google most likely has better tech, but wasn't designed for the Chinese net, and unlike in the rest of the world, Google isn't as big a brand name there.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:02:37 pm »

It would not surprise me in the least if the United States government wasn't working at ways of hacking, controlling, etc. websites, and I don't doubt that if they knew of a way to hack into the Chinese power grid they'd jump on the chance.  Considering all the various things they got up to in the Cold War, after all... that's just what governments do.
I highly doubt that.  One, we're on much better terms with China than we were with the USSR.  Two, the government is not allowed to take control of properties not belonging to it except in the event that it compensates this in some way or it is getting said property from some sort of military conquest.  Since neither of those have been happening, the US government probably isn't invading the internet in an attempt at controlling everything on it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 01:02:15 am »

It would not surprise me in the least if the United States government wasn't working at ways of hacking, controlling, etc. websites,
Uhm. We know they conduct security experiments and attempt to subvert common web services. How? Because there are DoD employees who submit security patches to open-source projects related to them!

and I don't doubt that if they knew of a way to hack into the Chinese power grid they'd jump on the chance.
Why? There is no state of war between China and the United States. Neither country gains anything from a scrap. The United States certainly doesn't gain anything by starting one.

Considering all the various things they got up to in the Cold War, after all... that's just what governments do.
Not relevant. This isn't a cold war. "Hurr China's gonna eat everybody" is misguided. If anything, the Chinese are likely to be among our closest allies in the twenty-first century, because they are on a path toward liberalism that is unlikely to reverse itself (without significant damage to China's future economic prospects, which are understandably more important to them than their political structure).

If anything, China's being sloppy about it by getting caught.
This shows a fundamental failure to understand how network security works. If you can't tell where data streams from your own network are going, you have genuinely incompetent staff. While penetration is often doable, covering your tracks is a far harder task. Chinese elements (there is no confirmation that there is a unified Chinese decision to attack Google; it very well could be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing) clearly relied on the assumption that Google, like the other companies mentioned in the various discussions about this topic, wouldn't start a shitfight. They were wrong.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235
Pages: 1 [2]