Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Nude model does photoshoot with no photoshop, other women call her a fake woman  (Read 28796 times)

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chris ? I don't think you understood. I don't know what I said to make you believe I wanted laws to get the wrong man or to be dodged. Maybe something I didn't mean at all because english isn't my first language ? I honestly have no idea.

Law is an instrument of justice more than one of order ? Not the part we were talking about. When the law punishes criminals, it doesn't do it because you have to compensate a suffering by another for some voodoo magical balance bullshit. It punishes criminals because if they weren't punished, then they would commit crimes again, other men would start commiting crimes, and society would be in trouble.

I said this because it explains that free will has nothing to do with the law. Conscious and inconscious minds and other related concepts, sure. But whether this guy killed a man because he was having a bad day and someone stepped on his foot, or because the neurons in his brain were acting according to the laws of physics, is not very important when the goal of the law is order : you have to lock him up somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:32:15 pm by Cyx »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

Where is this domino effect coming from? How would one man committing criminal acts cause others to commit criminal acts.  And nobody better reply with some BS, because that's just not cool.

whether someone is guilty or not is and has always been irrelevant, except in the mind of those who see law as an instrument of vengeance instead of one of order.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Why is this topic now turned into an arguement over a game of domino's?

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Because if they weren't punished, then they would commit crimes again"

Is it hard to understand ? If people doing bad things can get away with it, then they are going to continue doing bad things. Even people not doing bad things will be tempted to start. If their actions have consequences, then they are less likely to. I assumed it was obvious. Hell, I assumed I had already unnecessarily explained it.

Then you quoted me and I really have no idea why.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:37:19 pm by Cyx »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

You only explained half of your post. Of course if you can get away with it you will continue doing it.

HOW WILL THAT BRING OTHER PEOPLE INTO THE CRIME LOOP.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know why you quoted me now !!!

What I said followed the discussion about free will. That's also why I said the neurons thing. That's what it meant :
If we don't have any free will, then no one is guilty of anything because we literally can't chose what we do. But this doesn't matter in the eyes of the law, because whether or not free will exists doesn't change the way you would go about convincing someone not to commit a crime again. Thus, whether someone is guilty or not doesn't matter. Of course, if you take it out of context, it sounds strange.

I'm really not sure how to explain this better. If you could steal anything you wanted and always get away with it, wouldn't you steal things from time to time ? I guess so. Well, if law disappeared, then suddenly this is more or less how life would be for anyone. Thus, those who steal now wouldn't refrain from stealing more, and those who didn't, would start.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:38:48 pm by Cyx »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]